Directions for Questions 1 to 10: Fill in the blank by choosing the most appropriate option.
1) A vote………….. of proposed at the end of the meeting.
(A) thanks were
(B) thank was
(C) thanks had been
(D) thanks was
2) During the recession many companies will. ……… lay off workers.
(A) be forced to
(B) have the force to
(D) be forced into
3) She has good. ……….. over the famous foreign languages.
4) The Chairman pointed out in favour of the manager that the profitability of the industrial plant
had . …… since he took over the administration.
5) When the examinations were over………… went to Paris.
(A) me and Rohan
(B) land Rohan
(C) Rohan and me
(D) Rohan and I
6) Let’s go forawalk……………?
(A) can we
(B) shall we
(C) cant‟ we I
(D) shouldn’t we
7) Had Anil been on time he ………… missed the train.
(A) would not have been
(B) had not
(C) will not have
(D) would not have
8) The most alanning fact is that infection is spreading ……. the state and reaching villages and
9) In big cities people are . …. cut from nature.
10) The dissidents . ……. a great problem in every political party.
Directions for Questions 11 to 15: The sentences given in each question, when properly se-
quenced, form a coherent paragraph. Each sentence is labelled with a letter. Choose the most
logical order of sentences from among the given choices to construct a coherent paragraph.
11) (a) Payment for imports and exports is made through a system called foreign exchange. The
value of the money of one country in relation to the money of other countries is agreed upon.
(b) The rates of exchange vary from time to time.
(c) For example. an American dollar or a British pound sterling is worth certain amounts in the
money of other countries.
(d) Sometimes a US dollar is worth 60 rupees in India.
12) (a) When a dictionary is being edited. a lexicographer collects all the alphabetically arranged
citation slips for a particular word.
(b) The moment a new word is coined. it usually enters the spoken language.
(c) The dictionary takes note of it and makes a note of it on a citation slip.
(d) The word then passes from the realm of hearing to the realm of writing.
13) (a) The impression that corruption is a universal phenomenon persists and the people do not
co-operate in checking this evil.
(b) So there is hardly anything that the government can do about it now.
(c) It is regrettable that there is a widespread corruption in the country at all levels.
(d) Recently several offenders were brought to book. but they were not given deterrent
14) (a) In all social affairs convention prescribes more or less generally accepted rules of
(b) Of course, there is nothing absolute about conventions.
(c) They vary from country to country, from age to age.
(d) Convention has a necessary part to play in the life of everyone.
15) (a) In fact. only recently there have been serious studies to find out how many of us actually
(b) Now that is changing.
(c) The study of nightmares has been curiously neglected.
(d) While results so far are inconclusive, it seems fair to say that at least half the
population has occasional nightmares.
Directions for Questions 16 to 20: Given below are a few foreign language phrases which are
commonly used. Choose the correct meaning for each of the phrases.
16) Ex officio
(A) By virtue of previously held position
(B) Former official
(C) By virtue of office
(D) Outside the office
17) Ultra Vires
(A) Within powers
(B) Full powers
(C) Near powers
(D) Beyond powers
18) Quid pro quo
(A) Something for nothing
(B) Something for something
(C) Everything for something (D) Something for everything
19) Inter vivos
(A) between the living
(B) among the living and the dead
(C) between the dead
(D) among the (lead and the living
20) Corpus juris
(A) body of judges
(B) group of jurists
(C) body of law
(D) knowledge of law
Directions for Questions 21 to 25: Select the word that is spelt CORRECTLY.
21) Which of the following spellings is correct?
22) Which of the following spellings is correct?
23) Which of the following spellings is correct?
24) Which of the following spellings is correct „for a page at the beinning of a book„?
25) Which of the following spellings is correct„?