Current Affairs Capsule – 1 December 2019
- December 1, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Former Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) H R Khan has been appointed as the first Chairman of the steering committee of the Code for Responsible Lending (CRL) in micro-credit. Launched in September, the CRL is a self-regulatory step for the micro-credit industry making diverse entities like banks, NBFC-MFIs and NBFCs adhere to standards of customer protection.
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has launched the Accelerator Lab in New Delhi, India to address major issues being faced by India, like air pollution, through innovation. With this, India is among the 60 global ones that will test, find and try to scale up innovative solutions that can help combat both climate change and social inequity. The laboratory has partnered with NITI Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission (AIM). It will be set up in the UNDP office in New Delhi.
- The International Press Institute India Award for Excellence in Journalism for the year 2019 has been awarded to the private news channel NDTV in recognition of the exposure of the conspiracy to scuttle the Kathua rape and murder case probe. The exposé of the hypocrisy across the political spectrum represented excellence in journalism. Instituted in 2003, the International Press Institute India award, presented every year, honours and recognizes the best work done by any Indian media organization or journalist in television, radio, print, internet mediums and public interest.
- The Union Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports (MYAS) has constituted a 13-member expert committee to review the Draft National Code for Good Governance in Sports, 2017. The expert committee will be headed by former Supreme Court judge Justice Mukundakam Sharma. The panel will suggest measures to make the Sports Code acceptable to all the stakeholders.
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Myanmar on bilateral cooperation for the “Prevention of Trafficking in Persons; Rescue, Recovery, Repatriation and Re-integration of victims of Trafficking.” It will strengthen the friendship between the two countries and increase bilateral cooperation on the issues of human trafficking.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved the increasing of authorized capital of the Food Corporation of India (FCI) from existing Rs.3,500 crores to Rs.10,000 crores. With this, additional equity capital can be infused in the FCI through the Union Budget, to fund the food grains’ stock, perpetually held by the FCI. This will reduce the borrowings of the FCI, save its interest cost and reduce food subsidy in consequence. Founded in 1965, the Food Corporation of India is an organization created and run by the Government of India.
- The Union Cabinet has given ex-post facto approval for the Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) between India and Saudi Arabia in the field of combating illicit trafficking and smuggling of Narcotic Drugs, Psychotropic Substances and Chemical Precursors. The MoU will facilitate and enhance the cooperation between the two countries to combat the smuggling of narcotic drugs as defined by the United Nations International Drug Control Conventions.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has approved a waiver of repayment of loan and interest thereon, worth over Rs 4 crores, outstanding against the Sikkim Mining Corporation. The Sikkim Mining Corporation (SMC) was established on 27th February, 1960, as a joint venture undertaking of the Government of Sikkim and the Government of India.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who is appointed as the first Chairman of the steering committee of the Code for Responsible Lending (CRL) in micro-credit?
- M. K. Jain
- N. S. Vishwanathan
- H R Khan
- Anand Sinha
Q2. Who won the International Press Institute India Award for Excellence in Journalism for the year 2019?
- Indian Express
- ABP news
Q3. Who is the head of the 13-member expert committee to review the Draft National Code for Good Governance in Sports, 2017?
- Justice Arjan Kumar Sikhri
- Justice Mukundakam Sharma
- Justice Madan Lokur
- Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel
Q4. When was the Food Corporation of India founded?
Q5. Union Cabinet has approved the MoU between India and ______ on bilateral cooperation for Prevention of Trafficking in Persons
- Saudi Arabia
- Sri Lanka
Q6. When was the Sikkim Mining Corporation established?