CURRENT AFFAIRS CAPSULE – 12 JULY 2019
- July 12, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Indian sprinter Dutee Chand became the first Indian to win a gold medal in the women’s 100 metres event at the World Universiade, Italy. The 23-year-old Indian athlete clocked in at 11.32 seconds to win the race. She has now become the only second Indian sprinter to win gold in a global event after Hima Das. Her 100 metres national record stands at 11.24 seconds.
- World Population Day is observed every year across the world on 11th July to focus attention on the consequences of an increasing population and how it affects overall development plans and programmes. The Day was established by the Governing Council of United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in 1989. 11th July, 1987 is the approximate date on which the world’s population reached 5 billion people.
- The Indian Army has placed an order for procuring Israeli Anti-Tank spike missiles from Israel under emergency purchases to meet operational preparedness of the army. Spike missiles are known for their precision targeting with an ability to pierce even bunkers at a range of 4 kilometers. They can be fired from different platforms such as vehicles, helicopters, ships and ground launchers. Under the emergency provision, forces can make procurement up to Rs 300 crore.
- Railway Protection Force (RPF) launched ‘Operation Thirst’ on 8th and 9th July 2019 to stop selling of unauthorised Packaged Drinking Water (PDW) and fines were imposed on those found guilty and many were arrested. The bottles were seized under Section 144 and Section 153 of the Indian Railway Act. During the operation, a total fine amount of Rs. 6,80,855 has been realised from offenders.
- As per property consultant BPRE’s annual Global Prime Office Occupancy Costs Survey, New Delhi’s Connaught Place (CP) is the 9th most expensive office location in the world with an annual rent of nearly $144 per sq. ft. CP retained its 9th position from last year. CBRE is the world’s leading commercial real estate services company. Six of the world’s 10 most expensive office markets are found in Asia.
- Kerala Government decided to form a Non-Resident Keralites (NRK) Investment and Holding company Ltd with 74% stake to be held by expatriate (or expat) to channelize investments from overseas Keralites for major infrastructure development in the state. Government will have 26% stake. Kerala cabinet also decided to appoint a NORKA (Non-Resident Keralites Affairs) Chief Executive officer (CEO) as a special officer of the company.
Q1. Who won the gold medal in the women’s 100m in World Universiade, Italy?
- Hima Das
- Dutee Chand
- Swapna Barman
- Kirthi Verma
Q2. From which country is India going to buy the Anti-Tank Spike missiles?
Q3. New Delhi’s Connaught Place (CP) is the ______most expensive office location in the world.
Q4. What will be the government’s share in Non-Resident Keralites (NRK) Investment and Holding Company Ltd.?
Q5. Who launched Operation Thirst?
- Home Ministry
- Delhi Police
- Railway Protection Force
- Ministry of Water Resources
Q6. On which day is World Population day observed every year?
- 10 July
- 11 July
- 12 July
- 13 July