CURRENT AFFAIRS CAPSULE – 14 AUGUST 2019
- August 14, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Google announced the ‘Doodle for Google’ 2019 winner as Arantza Pena Popo of Georgia for her Doodle titled “Once You Get It, Give It Back.” Google awarded Arantza with a USD 30,000 college scholarship and a USD 50,000 technology award for her school.
- National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) has notified that the ceiling price of orthopaedic knee implants will be monitored in order to ensure that their cost does not increase beyond 10% in a given year. As per the data submitted by manufacturers and importers, during the period of July 2018 to June 2019, an increase of 30% in sales of knee implants was reported. NPPA, which was formed on 29th August 1997, is an independent body of experts that controls the prices of pharmaceutical drugs in India.
- Uttar Pradesh (UP) Police banned offering namaz across the roads to ensure that no namaz is offered by blocking roads. Offering namaz on roads during special occasions or festivals may be allowed by the district administration, owing to the large crowd but the practice will not be allowed during every Friday prayer.
- Swachh Survekshan 2020 (SS 2020), the fifth edition of the annual cleanliness survey was launched by Minister of State (Independent Charge) Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA). SBM Water PLUS Protocol, Swachh Nagar app, Swachh Survekshan 2020 Toolkit and AI-enabled mSBM App were also launched. SS 2020 was launched as part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, which aims to make India clean and free of open defecation by 2 October 2019.
- Principal Secretary (Commerce & Industry), Jammu & Kashmir (J&K), NK Chaudhary announced that the first-ever Global Investors Summit will be held in Jammu & Kashmir from 12th to 14th October, 2019. This step is a major push to bring investment in the Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh region. Earlier, on August 6, the Central Government scrapped Article 370 and Article 35A of the Indian Constitution, which provided Jammu & Kashmir special status. The government also bifurcated the state of Jammu & Kashmir into the Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh.
- Madame Tussauds Singapore, on the occasion of Sridevi’s 56th birth anniversary, announced the launch of her exclusive wax figure as a tribute to the late legendary actor. Madame Tussauds Singapore was officially opened on 25th October, 2014 as the seventh Asian branch of the Madame Tussauds chain of wax attractions worldwide.
- The Supreme Court imposed a fine on seven states for failing to file responses regarding setting up of Human Rights Courts, despite its January 2018 direction. A cost of one lakh rupees was imposed each on Rajasthan and Uttarakhand while a cost of 50,000 rupees each on Telangana, Uttar Pradesh, Odisha, Meghalaya and Mizoram. The Supreme Court had directed all the states to file their responses on the issue of setting up of Human Rights Courts as mandated in the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993 and appointment of special public prosecutors.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) formed?
Q2. Which State’s Police banned offering namaz across the roads?
- Uttar Pradesh
Q3. Swachh Survekshan 2020 (SS 2020) is the _______edition of the annual cleanliness survey.
Q4. Where will the first Global Investors Summit be held?
- New Delhi
- Jammu and Kashmir
- Tamil Nadu
Q5. When was Madame Tussauds Singapore opened officially?