CURRENT AFFAIRS CAPSULE – 15 JULY 2019
- July 15, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat has won the gold in the 53kg category at Yasar Dogu International in Istanbul. Phogat beat her Russian opponent Ekaterina Poleshchuk 9-5 in the final match to bag the gold medal. It was the third gold in the women’s competition for India after Seema (50kg) and Manju (59kg) triumphed in their respective categories.
- The Indian pair of G. Sathiyan and Anthony Amalraj won bronze in the Men’s Doubles category at the World Tour Platinum Australian Open Table Tennis 2019 held in Geelong near Melbourne in Australia. This was India’s first ever medal in Australian Open, which is a Platinum event. 2019 ITTF World Tour is the 24th edition of International Table Tennis Federation’s professional table tennis world tour.
- The Golden Jubilee Edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) will be held from 20th to 28th November 2019 in Panaji, Goa. Students from Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Satyajit Ray Institute of India and some other film institutes will be a part of the festival to gain some hands on experience. Russia will be the IFFI partner in this edition. The International Film Festival of India (IFFI) was founded in 1952.
- England lifted their maiden ICC World Cup cricket trophy beating New Zealand in the final match in London on 14th July, 2019. England’s Ben Stokes was named Player of the Match for a heroic knock of 84 not out off 92 balls, while New Zealand’s skipper Kane Williamson was adjudged Player of the Tournament for his excellent returns with the bat and inspiring leadership. It was the 12th edition of the Cricket World Cup. The first edition was held in 1975 in England.
- In Tennis, Serbian Novak Djokovic won his fifth Wimbledon title after defeating Swiss tennis ace Roger Federer (7-6, 1-6, 7-6, 4-6, 13-12) in a match that lasted for more than four hours. This is Djokovic’s 16th Grand Slam and 5th Wimbledon title. He is now level with Bjorn Borg as a five-time Wimbledon winner. The Championships, Wimbledon, commonly known as Wimbledon, is the oldest tennis tournament in the world that has been held at the All England Club in Wimbledon, London, since 1877.
- BJP has appointed BL Santosh as its General Secretary. He is presently the party’s Joint General Secretary. The appointment comes a day after Ram Lal was moved back to the RSS after holding the post of General Secretary for over 13 years. Before being made a national office bearer in charge of southern states in 2014, he was the party’s General Secretary (organisation) for eight years in Karnataka.
- The fourth anniversary of the Skill India Mission is being observed on 15th July, 2019 across the country. National Skill Development Mission also known as Skill India Mission was launched on this day in 2015. Nearly one crore youth are being presently imparted skills’ training annually under the mission.
Q1. 2019 ITTF World Tour is the ________ edition of the International Table Tennis Federation’s professional table tennis world tour.
Q2. Who won the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019?
- New Zealand
Q3. Who is the new General Secretary of the BJP?
- Ram Lal
- BL Santosh
- Amit Shah
- Vikram Singh
Q4. When was the National Skill Development Mission launched?
Q5. Who is the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) partner in the 50th edition?
Q6. When was the inaugural Wimbledon Championship held?