Current Affairs Capsule – 15 November 2019
- November 15, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched a web portal and a mobile application called ‘e-Ganna’ for sugarcane farmers of the state. This app and portal will ensure transparency in the process of getting slips, and facilitate sugarcane supply by farmers to mills and check irregularities. It will also help in eradicating cane mafia and middlemen and strengthen cane development societies.
- Defense Minister Rajnath Singh addressed at the 11th Maitree Diwas (Civil-Military Friendship) in Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh on 14th November, 2019. He announced that the Centre is planning to set up a North East Industrial Corridor that will act as a land bridge between India and South East Asia. Rajnath Singh also inaugurated Sisseri River Bridge and National Highway-52 in East Siang District. Maitree Diwas was initiated by Late Dorjee Khandu, former Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh, in 2004.
- Rosogolla Dibas or Rasgulla Day was celebrated on 14th November, 2019 in West Bengal to commemorate the granting of Geographical Indication (GI) tag of ‘Banglar Rosogolla’ or Bengal’s Rasgulla to the state in 2017.
- The Lancet Countdown report 2019 on Health and Climate Change was released on 13th November, 2019. It highlighted that today’s children are the most affected by climate change. In India, malnutrition is responsible for two-thirds of the deaths for children under the age of five. The average production of major crops like maize and rice has declined in India by 2 per cent since the 1960s. The production of four key crops – wheat, maize, rice and soya bean – has declined globally by 6%, 7.4%, 3.2% and 3.1% respectively.
- The incumbent Prime Minister of Mauritius Pravind Jugnauth was sworn in for a five-year term on 12th November, 2019 after elections in which his coalition consolidated its grip on the parliament. Jugnauth, 57, took over from his father in 2017 without going through a vote, and the decisive victory of his centre-right Morisian Alliance in the November 7, 2019 elections has strengthened his legitimacy. He proposed a new cabinet of 23 members, including three women. Since attaining independence from Britain in 1968, Mauritius has become one of the most stable democracies in Africa.
- Justice Muhammad Rafiq was sworn in as the 8th Chief Justice of the Meghalaya High Court by Meghalaya Governor Tathagata Roy at the Raj Bhavan in Shillong on 13th November, 2019. He has succeeded Justice Ajay Kumar Mittal, who is now the Chief Justice of Madhya Pradesh High Court. In 2008, Rafiq was appointed as a Justice at the Rajasthan High Court. He also served as the acting Chief Justice of Rajasthan High Court twice.
- The Asia-Pacific Rural and Agricultural Credit Association (APRACA), the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) and the Union Ministry of Agriculture Farmers Welfare and Cooperation jointly organised the 6th World Congress on Rural and Agricultural Finance in New Delhi on 12th November and 13th November, 2019. Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated the conference, which was attended by 300 delegates across the globe.
- A Supreme Court bench comprising Justices N V Ramana, Sanjiv Khanna and Krishna Murari on 13th November, 2019 upheld the disqualification of the 17 Karnataka MLAs by the then Assembly Speaker KR Ramesh Kumar but allowed their plea to contest the by-election to be held on 5th December for the seats that fell vacant in July. The tenth schedule of the Constitution lays down the process by which legislators can be disqualified on grounds of defection by the presiding officer of the legislature. The 17 legislators from the Congress and Janata Dal (Secular) had resigned at the behest of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in July, leading to the collapse of the 14-month-old H.D. Kumaraswamy-led coalition government.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Which state launched a web portal and a mobile application called ‘e-Ganna’ for sugarcane farmers of the state?
- Arunachal Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh
- Andhra Pradesh
Q2. On which day was the Maitree Diwas celebrated in Arunachal Pradesh?
- 11th November
- 12th November
- 13th November
- 14th November
Q3. What is the average decline in the production of major crops in India as per the Lancet Countdown report 2019 on Health and Climate Change since the 1960s?
Q4. When did Mauritius attain independence?
Q5. Who has been appointed as the 8th Chief Justice of the Meghalaya High Court?
- Justice Ajay Kumar Mittal
- Justice V Kothari
- Justice Muhammad Rafiq
- Justice Amreshwar Pratap Sahi
Q6. Where was the 6th World Congress on Rural and Agricultural Finance held?
- New Delhi