CURRENT AFFAIRS CAPSULE – 17 AUGUST 2019
- August 17, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Ministry of Corporate Affairs has amended the provisions relating to the issue of shares with Differential Voting Rights (DVRs) provisions under the Companies Act to enable promoters of Indian companies to retain control of their companies in their pursuit for growth and creation of long-term value for shareholders. The key change is the enhancement in the previously existing cap of 26 per cent of the total post-issue paid-up equity share capital to a revised cap of 74 per cent of the total voting power.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has approved the setting up of a committee under the Chairmanship of Director General (Acquisition) to review the Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) 2016 and Defence Procurement Manual (DPM) 2009. Apart from DG (Acq), eleven other members are a part of this high-level committee. The committee will revise and align the procedures with the aim of ensuring seamless flow from asset acquisition to life cycle support.
- Tirur betel leaf from Kerala, Tawlhlohpuan fabric and Mizo Puanchei shawl/textile from Mizoram have been accorded the GI tag by the Geographical Indications Registry under the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT). This tag is exclusive and any similar item originating from different locations will not be allowed to use it.
- President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, presented the Maharshi Badrayan Vyas Samman 2019 awards and certificate of honour to the scholars of Sanskrit, Persian, Arabic, Pali, Prakrit, Classical Kannada, Classical Telugu, Classical Malayalam and Classical Odiya. Instituted in 1958 by the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development, Maharshi Badrayan Vyas Samman awards are annually conferred on Independence Day.
- Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh YS Jagan Mohan Reddy launched his government’s flagship programme called ‘Village Volunteers System’. It aims to provide government services at the doorsteps of people. The scheme will involve more than 2.8 lakh volunteers and each volunteer will cover 50 families in each village. Each volunteer will be given identity cards and an allowance of Rs.5000 per month.
- Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Edappadi K Palaniswami announced that the Vellore district of the state would be trifurcated into Vellore, Ranipet and Tirupattur districts. With this, the state will have 37 districts in total. Vellore will be the headquarters of these 2 new districts. The Chief Minister also announced that starting from 2019, 1st November would be celebrated as “Tamil Nadu Day” to commemorate the state’s creation day. Tamil Nadu was created on November 1, 1956.
- Kapil Dev-led Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) has extended the term of Ravi Shastri as the Head Coach of Indian Men’s Cricket Team for two-years. He will serve as the Head Coach till the World Cup T20 that will end in 2021. Ravi Shastri was first named as the Head Coach of Team India on July 11, 2017, to serve the post till ICC World Cup 2019.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the Maharshi Badrayan Vyas Samman instituted?
Q2. Which state launched the ‘Village Volunteers System’?
- Tamil Nadu
- Andhra Pradesh
Q3. How many districts will be there in Tamil Nadu after the trifurcation of Vellore district?
Q4. Tirur betel leaf has been accorded GI tag for _________
- Tamil Nadu
- Andhra Pradesh
Q5. Who has been appointed as the Head Coach of the Indian men’s Cricket team?
- Ravi Shastri
- Kapil Dev
- Sachin Tendulkar
- Anil Kumble