CURRENT AFFAIRS CAPSULE – 17 JULY 2019
- July 17, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- India’s Mohammad Anas won gold in men’s 400m with an effort of 45.21 seconds and Hima Das won gold in women’s 200m event at Kladno Memorial Athletics Meet at Kladno in Czech Republic. Indian trio Vipin Kasana (82.51m), Abhishek Singh (77.32m) and Davinder Singh Kang (76.58m) took the top 3 spots in the men’s javelin final respectively. In the women’s 400m, V K Vismaya clocked her personal best of 52.54 seconds to win the race.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh lighted the Victory Flame at National War Memorial in New Delhi on 14th July, 2019 to begin celebrations of the 20th anniversary of victory in the Operation Vijay (Kargil War 1999) at Kargil (in Kargil district of Ladakh region), in Jammu and Kashmir. The theme of for the 20th anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas is ‘Remember, Rejoice and Renew’. The Victory Flame will pass through 9 major towns/cities of North India and finally culminate at Kargil War Memorial located at Dras on 26th July, 2019, where it will be received by General Bipin Rawat, Chief of Army Staff (COAS).
- The Lok Sabha passed the National Investigative Agency (Amendment) Bill, 2019 on July 15th, 2019 to give special powers to the officers of the NIA. This bill mandates the setting up of Special Courts for NIA. Three important amendments have been made to the National Investigation Agency (NIA) Act, 2008. These amendments enable the NIA to investigate offences related to the sale and manufacture of prohibited arms, human trafficking, fake currency, cyber terrorism and crimes related to the Explosive Substance Act, 1908.
- Senior BJP leader Kalraj Mishra has been appointed as the Governor of Himachal Pradesh on July 15th, 2019. He replaced Acharya Devvrat who has been transferred and appointed as the Governor of Gujarat. Acharya Devvrat (60) was appointed as the Governor of Himachal Pradesh in the year 2015 and he will replace retiring office holder OP Kohli. Article 155 says that the Governor of a State shall be appointed by the President by warrant under his hand and seal.
- The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has sent a notice to the Director General of Police of Bihar over the death of a JD(U) leader, Ganesh Ravidas in police custody, hours after he was picked up for interrogation in a kidnapping case. Ganesh Ravidas was found hanging from the ceiling of a toilet at the Nagarnausa police station in Nalanda on 11th July, 2019. NHRC has sought a detailed report in the matter within six weeks.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, in her maiden Budget 2019-20 speech, announced that the National Insurance Company Limited, the United India Assurance Company Limited and the Oriental India Insurance Company Limited will be merged soon into a single insurance entity. This decision was taken when a proposal was made to amend the General Insurance Business (Nationalisation) Act, 1972 to enable the merger of non-life insurance companies. The Finance Bill proposed to replace the “there will be four companies” statement under one of the sections of the 1972 act with “there will be up to four companies”.
- The 2023 ICC Cricket World Cup will be held in India from February 9th to March 26th, 2023. It will be the 13th edition of the men’s Cricket World Cup and will also mark the first time that the tournament will be solely hosted by India. The country has previously hosted the tournament thrice (1987, 1996, 2011), but every time co-hosted it with its Asian neighbours. England has hosted the most number of World Cups – 5 in total (1975, 1979, 1983, 1999 and 2019).
Q1. Who won the gold in men’s 400m at Kladno Memorial Athletics Meet at Kladno in Czech Republic?
- Anil Kumar Prakash
- Mohammad Anas
- Ram Singh Yadav
- Jinson Jhonson
Q2. Who lit the Victory Flame at National War Memorial on 14th July, 2019 to begin celebrations of the 20th Anniversary of victory in Operation Vijay?
- Rajnath Singh
- Narendra Modi
- Ram Nath Kovind
- Amit Shah
Q3. National Investigative Agency (Amendment) Bill, 2019 will amend the National Investigation Agency (NIA) Act, _______
Q4. Who has been appointed as the Governor of Himachal Pradesh?
- Acharya Devvrat
- OP Kohli
- Kalraj Mishra
- ESL Narasimhan
Q5. Which country has hosted the most number of ICC Cricket World Cups?
- New Zealand