Current Affairs Capsule – 19 October 2019
- October 19, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare released a commemorative postal stamp of the National Institute of Nutrition under the “Corporate My Stamp” scheme of India Posts during the centenary celebrations of the National Institute of Nutrition. The theme of the celebration was “Empowering the nation through nutrition”. Sir Robert McCarrison founded the National Institute of Nutrition in 1918 as a laboratory in Coonoor, Tamil Nadu. It was moved to Hyderabad in 1958.
- The Embassy of France in India in association with the Union Ministry of Science and Technology and the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) organised the 2nd edition of the Indo-French Knowledge Summit at University of Lyon in France on 17th & 18th October, 2019 to develop and structure India-France collaborations in the fields of education and research, stimulate connections between research and industry and encourage the mobility of students and scholars. The first edition of the Indo-French Knowledge Summit was held in India during the 2018 state visit of French President Emmanuel Macron to India.
- United Arab Emirates (UAE) has announced the establishment of the Mohamed bin Zayed University of Artificial Intelligence (MBZUAI) university, the first graduate-level, research-based Artificial Intelligence (AI) university in the world. It is named after Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces.
- The total livestock population is 535.78 million as per the 20th Livestock Census released by the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying, under the Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying. Livestock population has increased by 4.6% as compared to that of 2012. The total bovine population is around 302.79 million and has increased by 1% in 2019 while the cattle population is 192.49 million and has increased by 0.8%. India has been conducting livestock censuses periodically since 1919-20.
- World Food Day (WFD) is annually celebrated on 16th October to commemorate the creation of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations in 1945. It is aimed at raising awareness of the issues behind poverty and hunger. This year, the theme was ‘Our Actions are our Future Healthy Diets for a Zero Hunger World’. World Food Day (WFD) was established in November 1979.
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation 2019 were announced in Penang, Malaysia on 14th October, 2019. Four sites from India have been chosen for these awards. The Vikram Sarabhai Library of Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad, won the Award of Distinction while the Keneseth Eliyahoo Synagogue (Mumbai) and Our Lady of Glory Church (Mumbai) won the Award of Merit. The Award in Honourable Mention category was given to the Flora Fountain (Mumbai) while the historic Tai Kwun – Centre for Heritage and Arts (Hong Kong) won the Award of Excellence. These awards were established in 2000.
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) released its report “World Economic Outlook” on 15th October, 2019. As per this report, the global economy is at its slowest pace of growth at 3% and is projected to improve to 3.4% by 2020. The growth rate in 2017 was 3.8%. India’s growth projections were reported as 6.1% in 2019 and 7% in 2020. The emerging and developing economies are projected to experience a growth pick up from 3.9% in 2019 to 4.6% in 2020. The World Economic Outlook is published twice a year – in April and October.
- ‘One Nation One Tag – FASTag’ conference to roll out the process for having a unified electronic system across the country was inaugurated in New Delhi by Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways Nitin Gadkari. The Indian Highways Management Company Ltd (IHMCL) and Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN) signed a MoU for integration of FASTag with GST e-way bill system.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the National Institute of Nutrition founded?
Q2. Who announced the establishment of the first graduate-level, research-based Artificial Intelligence (AI) university in the world?
- Saudi Arabia
Q3. What is the total livestock population in India as per the 20th Livestock Census?
- 338.54 million
- 535.78 million
- 632.86 million
- 574.32 million
Q4. On which day is the World Food Day (WFD) celebrated?
- October 14
- October 15
- October 16
- October 17
Q5. When were the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation established?
Q6. What is the growth rate of global economy as per the World Economic Outlook?