Current Affairs Capsule – 2 November 2019
- November 2, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Chile Government cancelled the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit and the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP25) on 30th October, 2019 due to the ongoing protests in the country. Spain has offered to host the COP25. Earlier, in November, 2018, Brazil had withdrawn from hosting the COP25 citing economic reasons. The first COP was held in Berlin, Germany in 1995.
- Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana and Madhya Pradesh celebrated their formation day on 1st November, 2019. Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Madhya Pradesh were formed on 1st November. 1956. Chhattisgarh was carved out of Madhya Pradesh on 1st November, 2000 while Haryana was carved out of Punjab on 1st November, 1966. There are 28 states and 9 Union Territories in India as on November 2, 2019.
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) designated 66 cities as “creative cities” on 30th October, 2019 i.e. World Cities Day. This year, Hyderabad and Mumbai from India were included in the list. Mumbai, for its cinema-centric aura, gained the name “City of Dreams” and Hyderabad, known for its Biryani and other food items, has gained the name “The Home of Haleem and Biryani”. Varanasi, Chennai and Jaipur have already been included in the list.
- Former Defence Secretary Radha Krishna Mathur on 31st October, 2019 was sworn-in as the first Lieutenant Governor of Union Territory of Ladakh, which came into existence after the bifurcation of Jammu and Kashmir. Mathur, a 1977-batch IAS officer from Tripura, has also worked as the Chief Information Commissioner. Umang Narula, a 1989-batch IAS officer, has been appointed as an advisor to Mathur, while S S Khandare, a 1995-batch IPS officer, has been appointed as the Head of Police in Ladakh.
- Leeladhar Jagoori, Hindi poet and writer, was conferred the Vyas Samman for the year 2018 by renowned author and scholar Govind Mishra, for his poetry collection ‘Jitne Log Utne Prem’ in New Delhi. Started in 1991, the award is conferred by the K K Birla Foundation for any outstanding literary work in Hindi authored by an Indian citizen published during last ten years. The KK Birla Foundation also confers the Saraswati Samman and the Bihari Puraskar for literature in Indian languages.
- India signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Saudi Arabia to launch the RuPay card in the country during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the country. It will benefit not only 2.6 million Indians in the Gulf Kingdom but also the pilgrims visiting to perform Haj and Umrah. India has already launched the RuPay card in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain, Bhutan and Singapore.
- People’s Liberation Army (PLA) organised a Border Personnel Meeting (BPM) with the Indian Army on 30th October, 2019 on the Chinese side at Bum La, Tawang district, Arunachal Pradesh, India. Discussions to enhance existing mutual trust and bonhomie between the two largest armies in the world were held. The conducting of BPM every year on 30th October is in vogue since the Border Peace and Tranquility agreement that was signed between India and China on 7th September, 1993.
- The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) has now permitted any Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) to enroll in the National Pension Scheme (NPS) at par with Non-Resident Indians on 29th October 2019. Now, any Indian citizen, resident or non-resident and OCIs are eligible to join the NPS till the age of 65 years. The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) is a statutory authority established on 23rd August, 2003 to regulate, promote and ensure orderly growth of the National Pension System (NPS).
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the first COP held?
Q2. Which among the following cities have been included in the Creative Cities in 2019?
- a & b
Q3. Who has been appointed as the first Lieutenant Governor of Union Territory of Ladakh?
- Satya Pal Malik
- Radha Krishna Mathur
- Girish Chandra Murmu
- Ravi Prasad Sharma
Q4. Who was conferred the Vyas Samman for the year 2018?
- Leeladhar Jagoori
- Govind Mishra
- Mamta Kalia
- Sunita Jain
Q5. In which of the following countries has the RuPay card not been launched?
- United Arab Emirates (UAE)
Q6. When was the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) established?