Current Affairs Capsule – 24 October 2019
- October 24, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Actress Deepika Padukone and India’s ace shuttler PV Sindhu were named as the ambassadors of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s initiative called ‘Bharat Ki Laxmi’ that aims to bring commendable work done by women across the nation to light, ahead of the Diwali festival.
- Uttar Pradesh cadre IAS officer of the 1986 batch, Alok Tandon, has been appointed as the Secretary in the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances, besides holding an additional charge in the Department of Pensions and Pensioners Welfare. Bihar cadre IAS officer of 1987 batch Rajesh Bhushan, who is currently serving as the Additional Secretary in the Cabinet Secretariat, has been appointed as the Secretary (Coordination) in the Cabinet Secretariat. Anil Kumar Khachi, who was appointed as the Secretary, Department of Investment and Public Asset Management in July, has been replaced by Tuhin Kanta Pandey.
- Pankaj Kumar, Additional Secretary in Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) in the rank and pay of Secretary by temporarily upgrading the post by the Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC). Founded on 28th January 2009, the UIDAI is a statutory authority under the provisions of the Aadhaar Act, 2016.
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) has appointed Sanjeev Nandan Sahai as the Secretary of Ministry of Power, in place of S.C. Garg, who had sought Voluntary Retirement from Service (VRS). Sahai, a 1986-batch IAS officer of union territories (UT) cadre, is at present serving as the special secretary in the Power Ministry. B R Sharma, Secretary in the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), has been appointed as the Chairman of Staff Selection Commission. Nagendra Nath Sinha, Chairman of the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), will replace B R Sharma as the Secretary of BRO.
- An e-portal and a YouTube channel of the Centre for Cultural Resources and Training (CCRT) has been inaugurated by Union Minister of State for Culture Prahlad Singh Patel at the ‘Digital Bharat-Digital Sanskriti’ program being held at the CCRT headquarters, in New Delhi. A book titled ‘Dewas Ki Sanskritik Parampara’, written by Jeevan Singh Thakur and published by the CCRT, was also released. Established in 1979, the CCRT is an autonomous organization, under the Union Ministry of Culture, which is aimed to support cultural education in country.
- Indonesia’s President Joko Widodo was sworn into office for his second and final five-year term. He was re-elected in the presidential election polls that took place on 17th April 2019. Widodo, a former furniture salesman popularly known as Jokowi, was sworn into office along with 76-year-old Vice President Maruf Amin, who will replace Widodo’s Vice President in his first term, Jusuf Kalla. Jokowi said that his final term would be aimed at eradicating poverty and catapulting Indonesia into a developed country and one of the world’s top five economies by 2045.
- World Osteoporosis Day is observed every year on 20th October to create awareness for the prevention, treatment and diagnosis of osteoporosis. Launched in 1996, it is organised by the International Osteoporosis Foundation. Osteoporosis is a disease characterized by low bone mass and deterioration of bone tissue, which can lead to an increased risk of fractures. The prevalence of osteoporosis in India is 24.6% in men and 42.5% in women above 50 years of age.
- Defense Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the Col. Chewang Rinchen Setu (Bridge), named after Colonel Chewang Rinchan who was one of the highly decorated officers in the Indian Army from Ladakh. He was also a recipient of the Maha Vir Chakara (1952). The bridge has been constructed at an altitude of 14,650 feet on the road Durbuk Shyok Daulat Beg Oldie, which is 45 km east of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China. The bridge has been built by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO).
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who has been appointed as the Secretary, Department of Investment and Public Asset Management?
- Anil Kumar Khachi
- Rajesh Bhushan
- Alok Tandon
- Tuhin Kanta Pandey
Q2. When was the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) established?
Q3. Who has been appointed as the Secretary of the Ministry of Power?
- B R Sharma
- Sanjeev Nandan Sahai
- Nagendra Nath Sinha
- Anil Kumar Khachi
Q4. When was the Centre for Cultural Resources and Training (CCRT) established?
Q5. Joko Widodo has been sworn in as the President of _______
Q6. On which day is the World Osteoporosis Day observed?
- October 18
- October 19
- October 20
- October 21