Current Affairs Capsule – 26 October 2019
- October 26, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- ‘Report from Ground Zero’, a report on Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh after setting aside of Article 370 & 35A, was presented to Dr Jitendra Singh, Union Minister of State (MoS) in the PMO by a delegation of Group of Intellectuals and Academicians (GIA). As per the report, common man across religions, sections and various professional backgrounds in J&K has expressed happiness about the decision of the Government to scrap Article 370. Founded in 2015, the GIA aims to become the voice of the most silent and underprivileged section of our nation with legal and academic support.
- The Bureau of Police Research and Development’s (BPRD) flagship publication “Data on Police Organizations” (DoPO 2018) has been released by the Union Minister of State Home Affairs, G. Kishan Reddy. The strength of Woman Police in the State Police Forces has increased by 20.95% to 1,69,550 since 2017. The total share of women police personnel in the Indian Police is 8.73%. The Police Population Ratio (PPR) is 192.95 policemen per lakh population. The strength of the Police Personnel and the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) has increased by 19,686 and 16,051 respectively.
- Indian Railways launched the ‘one touch ATVM’ at 42 suburban stations in Mumbai on 24th October, 2019 to render fast ticketing. The Automatic Ticket Vending Machines (ATVM), built on the Linux platform, has reduced the six-steps process to getting ticket to a two-step process.
- The Odisha Government signed a 165 million USD loan agreement with the World Bank to implement “Integrated Irrigation Project for Climate Resilient Agriculture”, which aims to support farmers to reduce the current emphasis on food grains, especially paddy and wheat, and help them to increase the share of high-value and more nutritious products like fruits and vegetables. The scheme will be implemented in rural areas that are largely rain-fed and vulnerable to droughts. In 2019, about 70% of the agricultural land in Odisha is prone to droughts as compared to 40% in 1970s.
- The National Ayurveda Day is observed every year on the occasion of Dhanwantari Jayanti (Dhanteras). This year, it is being observed on 25th October 2019. The day is celebrated to create awareness in today’s generation and promote Ayurvedic principles of healing in society. The Ministry of Ayush distributes “National Dhanwantari Ayurveda Award” on Ayurveda Day every year. The day is being celebrated since 2016.
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu will lead the Indian delegation at the 18th Summit of Heads of State and Government of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) that will be held at Baku, Azerbaijan on 25th October, 2019. The theme for the summit is ‘Upholding the Bandung Principles to ensure concerted and adequate response to the challenges of the contemporary world’. India is a founding member of the NAM, which was established in 1961 with headquarters in Central Jakarta, Indonesia.
- The United Nations (UN) Day is observed every year on 24th October to commemorate the day of enforcement of the UN Charter in 1945. The UN Day is being celebrated since 1948. In 1971, the United Nations General Assembly recommended that the day be observed by Member States as a public holiday. Secretary-General António Guterres has announced that next year’s commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the United Nations “UN75: 2020 and Beyond-Shaping our future together” will feature a large and inclusive global conversation on the role of global cooperation in building the future we want.
- An exercise codenamed as ‘Sindhu Sudarshan’ will be conducted by the Indian Army in the deserts of Rajasthan from 29th November to 4th December, 2019. A high degree of synergy between the Indian Army and Indian Air Force will be showcased. It will witness the Indian Army assessing operational efficiency of the Strike Corps to fight in desert terrain as well as the Indian Air Force (IAF) in providing intimate support in terms of destruction of targets and airlifting troops.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the Group of Intellectuals and Academicians (GIA) founded?
Q2. What is the Police Population Ratio (PPR) in India as per the Data on Police Organizations (DoPO 2018)?
- 132.89 policemen per lakh population
- 165.43 policemen per lakh population
- 192.95 policemen per lakh population
- 205.73 policemen per lakh population
Q3. Automatic Ticket Vending Machines (ATVM), launched by the Indian Railways, are built on _____
Q4. Which state has signed an agreement with the World Bank to implement “Integrated Irrigation Project for Climate Resilient Agriculture”?
Q5. When was the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) established?
Q6. On which day is the United Nations (UN) Day celebrated?
- 22nd October
- 23rd October
- 24th October
- 25th October
Q7. Where will the exercise “Sindhu Sudarshan” be conducted?
- Himachal Pradesh