Current Affairs Capsule – 28 September 2019
- September 28, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- India and Pakistan will be attending the SAARC Council of Ministers meeting in New York on 26th September, 2019. The meeting is being chaired by Nepal. SAARC is South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation with member nations as Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Pakistan. SAARC comprises 21% of the world population and 3.8% of the world economy. Founded in Dhaka on 8th December, 1985, it aims to promote welfare of the people of South Asia accelerating their social and economic growth.
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Central University of Jammu (CUJ) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to establish Kalam Centre for Science and Technology (KCST) at the university. KCST will be a world-class centre that will be equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and equipment leading to increase in research scholars in the area. Central University of Jammu (CUJ) is a central government-funded university and was established under the Central Universities Act 2009.
- China has launched its first amphibious assault ship in Shanghai that would enable the ground forces to carry out attacks on enemy territory from sea. Independently developed by China, it has a strong capacity in amphibious operations as well as performing a variety of tasks.
- International Day for Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons is observed every year on 26th September to enhance public awareness about the threat posed to humanity by nuclear weapons. The United Nations General Assembly declared the day in 2013 through a resolution 68/32. US, Russia, France, Britain, India, China, Pakistan and North Korea are the current nuclear powers in the world. The day was first celebrated in 2014.
- Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (EAC-PM) under the Chairman Bibek Debroy was reconstituted by the Government of India for a period of two years, with effect from 26th September, 2019. Along with the Chairman, Ratan P Watal will also continue as the Member Secretary of the reconstituted EAC-PM. Apart from these two full-time members, EAC-PM will have two part-time members as against three in the outgoing panel.
- The 9th India-China Financial Dialogue with an aim to promote cooperation in financial sector was held in New Delhi. At the dialogue, Vice Minister of Finance led China while Indian delegation was led by Secretary of Department of Economic Affairs Atanu Chakraborty. A wide-range of issues of mutual interest was discussed at the dialogue.
- President of India Ram Nath Kovind presented the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prizes 2019 for outstanding contributions in science and technology, on the occasion of the 78th Foundation Day of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR). Founded in 1958, the award is the highest multidisciplinary science award in India which recognizes outstanding Indian work in science and technology. CSIR was established on 26th September, 1942.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation founded?
Q2. On which day is the International Day for Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons observed?
- 25th September
- 26th September
- 27th September
- 28th September
Q3. When was the first International Day for total elimination of Nuclear weapons celebrated?
Q4. Who is the current Chairman of the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (EAC-PM)?
- Ratan P Watal
- Bibek Debroy
- Vivek Singh
- Praveen Kumar
Q5. When was the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) established?