CURRENT AFFAIRS CAPSULE – 29 AUGUST 2019
- August 29, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Kanchan Chaudhary Bhattacharya, the first woman Director General of Police (DGP), passed away following an illness in Mumbai, Maharashtra. The 1973 batch IPS officer was first appointed as DGP of Uttarakhand in 2004. She was the country’s second woman IPS officer after Kiran Bedi. In 1997, she was awarded the President’s police medal for distinguished service.
- Biometric Seafarer Identity Document (BSID) has been launched by the Union Ministry of Shipping, making India the world’s first country to launch facial biometric data-based identity document (ID) for seafarers. It is being implemented in pursuance of the government notification in the Merchant Shipping (Seafarers Bio-metric Identification Document) Rules in 2016.
- The establishment of the International Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI), along with its supporting Secretariat Office in New Delhi, has been approved by the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. CDRI will be launched at the United Nations (UN) Climate Action Summit scheduled to be held in New York, US on 23rd September 2019.
- The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) organised the 12th India Security Summit in New Delhi on 28th August, 2019 with the official support of the Union Ministry of Communications & Information Technology. The theme of the summit was “Towards New National Cyber Security Strategy”. During the summit, many issues were discussed such as protection of critical national infrastructure, emerging cyber threats: incidents, challenges and response.
- Union Ministry of Tourism launched the integrated NOC (No Objection Certificate) Online Application Processing System for National Monuments Authority (NMA) to seek approval for construction around protected monuments in 6 states- Madhya Pradesh (378), Andhra Pradesh (110), Haryana (15), Punjab (10), Jharkhand (3) and Telangana (1).
- Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar announced that India has set a target to restore 50 lakh hectares of its degraded land by 2030 at a curtain raiser event for the 14th meeting of Conference of Parties to the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD COP14) to be held in India for the first time from September 2-13, 2019. India will become the President of COP14 for two years after China’s term.
- A team of five girls called “Tech Witches” from the Amity International School in Noida, Uttar Pradesh who developed a mobile application called ‘Maitri’ that connects children at orphanages with senior citizens in old-age homes won the bronze medal at the global tech competition called ‘Technovation Challenge’ held in San Francisco, United States. It is aimed at bringing together individuals suffering from loneliness and depression and those lacking nurturing love of elderly role models.
- India and Nepal launched a bus service between Nepal’s capital Kathmandu and Siliguri in West Bengal. Nepal’s Minister for Physical Infrastructure and Transportation Raghubir Mahaseth and Indian Ambassador Manjeev Singh Puri flagged off the bus service. It is the overall 11th route for bus service between Nepal and India, of the total 13 routes that have been approved for operating regular bus services between the two countries.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who was the first woman Director General of Police (DGP) in India?
- Kiren Bedi
- Kanchan Chaudhary Bhattacharya
- R Sreelekha
- Meera Borwankar
Q2. Which is the world’s first country to launch facial biometric data-based identity document (ID) for seafarers?
Q3. Where will the International Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI) be established?
- New York
- New Delhi
Q4. Where was the 12th India Security Summit held?
- New Delhi