Current Affairs Capsule – 29 October 2019
- October 29, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- President Ram Nath Kovind appointed Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde as the next Chief Justice of India (CJI) on 29th October, 2019. He will take oath as the 47th CJI on 18th November, 2019. Justice Bobde, the second senior-most judge in the apex court, will succeed incumbent Ranjan Gogoi, who will demit office on 17th November. The 63-year-old judge is expected to retire on 23rd April, 2021. He was part of a nine-judge bench of the Supreme Court, which in August 2017, declared the right to privacy as a fundamental right of an individual.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Riyadh on 28th October, 2019 on a two-day visit, during which he will attend the 3rd edition of Saudi Arabia’s annual financial conference -‘Future Investment Initiative’ and hold bilateral talks with King Salman bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud. The two countries would also sign an agreement to establish a Strategic Partnership Council to coordinate on key issues. The council will be headed by Prime Minister Modi and the Crown Prince and it will meet every two years.
- The National Corporate Social Responsibility Awards (NCSRA) 2019 was presented to 19 companies by President Ram Nath Kovind in New Delhi. Instituted in 2017 by the Union Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA), the award seeks to recognize corporate initiatives in area of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) to achieve inclusive growth and sustainable development. These awards are the highest recognition given by the Government of India in the domain of CSR.
- Exercise Shakti-2019, a joint military exercise of Indian and French troops is going to be held between 31st October and 13th November, 2019 at the Foreign Training Node at the Mahajan Field Firing Range, Rajasthan. It will focus on counter-terrorism operations in a semi-desert terrain under the United Nations’ mandate. Started in 2011, Shakti is a biennial exercise conducted alternately in India and France.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel will pay a day-long visit to India on 1st November, 2019 during which she will hold talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi with a focus on strengthening ties in key sectors such as trade, energy and defence. Merkel and Modi will also co-chair the 5th biennial Inter-Governmental Consultations (IGC). The first IGC was held in New Delhi in 2011. Germany is India’s largest trading partner in Europe. In 2018-19, the Indian exports were 8.9 billion USD and imports were 15.16 billion USD.
- ISRO will launch fourteen small foreign satellites in its three Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) flights namely PSLV-C47, PSLV-C48 and PSLV-C49 by November and December. The Indian payload Cartosat-3, a remote sensing satellite, will be the primary payload of PSLV-C47. So far, ISRO has launched 300 small satellites, which weigh around 500 kg to lower earth orbits for foreign customers.
- Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik launched ‘Odisha-Mo Parivar’ (Odisha, my family), a social service initiative of his party Biju Janata Dal (BJD), to encourage environment protection, blood donation and the welfare of Odias in distress. Arup Patnaik, former Mumbai Police Commissioner and BJD leader has been appointed as the Convenor of programme for its implementation.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who has been appointed as the next Chief Justice of India (CJI)?
- Justice Ranjan Gogoi
- Justice NV Ramana
- Justice SA Bobde
- Justice Arun Kumar Mishra
Q2. When were the National Corporate Social Responsibility Awards (NCSRA) instituted?
Q3. Exercise Shakti-2019 is a joint military exercise of Indian and _____troops
- Sri Lankan
Q4. When was the first Inter-Governmental Consultations of India-Germany held?
Q5. What is the aim of the initiative ‘Odisha-Mo Parivar’?
- Encourage environment protection
- Encourage blood donation
- Welfare of Odias in distress
- All of the above