Current Affairs Capsule – 3 November 2019
- November 3, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh represented as a Special Envoy of Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the Council of Heads of Government of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) at Tashkent in Uzbekistan. The decision to conduct the Council of Heads of Government in 2020 in India was taken at the meet. India called upon the member countries to strengthen and implement existing international laws and mechanisms to combat terrorism. The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Charter that formally established the organisation was signed in June 2002 and entered into force on 19th September, 2003.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is on an official visit to Thailand to attend the ASEAN, RCEP and East Asia Summits, released a commemorative coin marking the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev. He also released the Thai translation of the Tamil classic “Tirukkural”.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Seetharaman and US Secretary Steven T Minuchin co-chaired the 7th India-US Economic and Financial partnership meeting in New Delhi. The leaders took efforts to improve mutual cooperation on wide range of multilateral subjects like combating financing of terrorism and anti-money laundering. The United States also extended its support to India in hosting the 2022 G20 Presidency.
- India and Germany signed seventeen agreements in the fields of agriculture, maritime technology, Ayurveda and yoga among others. Five joint declarations of intent were also exchanged between the two countries for the cooperation on strategic projects, partnership for green urban mobility, research and development on artificial intelligence and cooperation in the field of prevention of marine litter. German Chancellor Angela Merkel is on a two-day visit to India for the 5th biennial Indo-German Inter Governmental consultations (IGC).
- Dustlik 2019, the first ever joint military exercise between India and Uzbekistan, will be conducted at the Chirchiq Training Area, Uzbekistan from 4th November to 13th November, 2019. It is aimed to focus on counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations in the mountainous, rural and urban regions.
- Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar approved the proposal of setting-up of a New Regional Centre of the GB Pant Institute of Himalayan Environment & Development at Ladakh. It aims to promote alternative and innovative livelihoods for climate change vulnerable cold-desert communities and to facilitate conservation of critical/important cold desert habitats and biodiversity.
- President Ram Nath Kovind launched the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi’s Global Alumni Endowment Fund on 31st October, 2019. It has an initial commitment of Rs 250 crore from nearly 20 corporate leaders and alumni of the institution. IIT Delhi also launched the ‘Each One Teach One’ initiative wherein IIT Delhi invites alumni, wealthy individuals and corporate organisations to support education of one student per year costing up to $10,000, which will get added to the IIT Delhi Endowment Fund.
- Union Ministry for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) has announced that it will set up the first ever “Bamboo Technology Parks” in the new union territories of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh. The model of bamboo cultivation, harvesting and utilization that is existing in the North Eastern Region will be replicated in Jammu, Leh and Srinagar regions. The project will be implemented by the Cane and Bamboo Technology Centre (CBTC) under the DoNER. THE CBTC was established in Guwahati in 2000.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When did the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Charter come into force?
Q2. India and ___________signed seventeen agreements in the fields of agriculture, maritime technology, Ayurveda and yoga among others recently.
Q3. Dustlik is a joint military exercise between India and ________
Q4. Which institute among the following launched the Global Alumni Endowment Fund?
- IIM Ahmedabad
- IISc Bangalore
- IIT Delhi
- IIT Madras
Q5. When was the Cane and Bamboo Technology Centre (CBTC) established?