Current Affairs Capsule – 30 October 2019
- October 30, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Union Minister of State for Road Transport V.K. Singh addressed the 5th International Conference on Road Tech (sustainable roads and highways) in New Delhi on 30th October, 2019. He said that the infrastructure will propel the growth of the economy and to achieve this growth, the country needs sustainable and environment friendly roads and highways.
- The 9th edition of the Bangladesh-India Friendship Dialogue, being organized jointly by the India Foundation and the Bangladesh Foundation for Regional Studies, will be held at Cox Bazar in Bangladesh on 1st and 2nd November, 2019. A wide range of issues like trade and investment, connectivity, technology, regional security, extremism and sustainable development will be discussed at the event. The last session of the Bangladesh-India Friendship Dialogue was held at Guwahati in July, 2017.
- The SEED Awards 2019 winners were announced on 24th October, 2019. Fourteen startups, which include four Indian startups, have been selected for the awards this year. The SEED Awards for Entrepreneurship in Sustainable Development is an annual awards scheme designed to identify the most innovative and promising locally led start-up eco-inclusive enterprises in developing and emerging economies. The SEED Awards were first presented in the year 2005.
- Rafael Mariano Grossi of Argentina will succeed late Yukiya Amano as the new Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), a United Nations’ nuclear watchdog. 58-year-old Gossi, the sixth head of the IAEA will have a tenure of four years. Established through its own international treaty (the IAEA Statute) on 29th July, 1957 with its headquarters in Vienna, Austria, the IAEA is an autonomous organization with 171 member states.
- Aarambh, the first ever common foundation course for the 2019 batch probationer civil servants has been launched by the Government of India at the Statue of Unity, Kevadia, Gujarat. Around 500 newly recruited bureaucrats will be undergoing a six-day training programme. The theme for this year is ‘How to achieve the goal of making India a 5 trillion dollar economy?’ World Bank president David Malpass addressed the trainees at the event.
- In light of the 4.10 lakh diyas on the banks of river Saryu in Ayodhya, a Guinness World Record was made on 26th October during Deepotsav 2019, which was organised by the Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath. Begun in 1955, the Guinness World Record is published annually listing human achievements and extremes of the natural world. It is published in 100 countries in 23 languages.
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched a scheme “Mukhya Mantri Kanya Sumangala Yojana”, which seeks to provide Rs. 15,000 to every family where a girl child is born. The funds will be released in a phased manner when the girl child completes various milestones like vaccination, admission to class 1, 5, 9 and graduation. The Kanya Sumangala web portal was also launched along with the scheme.
- India signed an agreement with Pakistan on 24th October, 2019 to operationalize the Kartarpur Sahib Corridor, which connects the Dera Baba Nanak on the Indian side with the Kartarpur Sahib Gurdwara in Pakistan. In November 2018, the Government of India had passed a resolution for the construction of Kartarpur Sahib Corridor to celebrate the occasion of 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak. A website called prakashpur550.mha.gov.in has also been launched for the pilgrims to register.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Where was the 5th International Conference on Road Tech (sustainable roads and highways) held?
- New Delhi
Q2. When were the first SEED Awards presented?
Q3. Who has been appointed as the new Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)?
- Yukiya Amano
- Cornel Feruta
- Rafael Mariano Grossi
- Mohamed Mustafa ElBaradei
Q4. In how many languages is the Guinness World Record published every year?
Q5. When did the Guinness World Record begun?
Q6. Which state launched the scheme “Mukhya Mantri Kanya Sumangala Yojana”?
- Uttar Pradesh