Current Affairs Capsule – 30 September 2019
- September 30, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Chief of Army Staff General Bipin Rawat received the baton of the Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC) from the outgoing Indian Air Force (IAF) Chief Air Chief Marshal (ACM) BS Dhanoa, who retires on 30th September, 2019. The Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC) comprises chiefs of India Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force. Air Marshal RKS Bhadauria will take over as IAF Chief from ACM BS Dhanoa.
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu conferred Dr. G.B. Deglurkar, an archaeologist with the prestigious Punyabhushan Award for his long-standing contribution to the field of Indian archaeology through the renowned Deccan College Post Graduate & Research Institute. Instituted by Pune-based Punyabhushan Foundation, it was first awarded in 1989.
- United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) for the first time selected India as the host country for the celebration of World Tourism Day 2019. The World Tourism Day is observed globally on 27th September and is hosted by a different country every year. The theme for this year is “Tourism and Jobs: A better future for all”. Founded on October 1975, the UNWTO is headquartered in Madrid, Spain.
- Suresh Chitturi, Vice Chairman and Managing Director of Srinivasa Farms, became the first Asian to be appointed as the Chairman of the International Egg Commission (IEC) for a period of the next two years. International Egg Commission (IEC) was established in 1964.
- Hazza Al Mansouri from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) became the first Emirati and the first Arab astronaut to travel to the International Space Station (ISS). Accompanied by Oleg Skripochka of Russia and NASA astronaut Jessica Meir onboard a Soyuz MS-15 rocket from Baikonur in Kazakhstan, he blasted into space. He is only the third Arab in space after Sultan Bin Salman Bin Abdul Aziz of Saudi Arabia (1985) and Mohammad Faris (1987) of Syria.
- An 80-year old handwritten letter by Mahatma Gandhi on September 1, 1939 to Shohet, Indian Jewish leader, was unveiled by the National Library of Israel. The day marks the Jewish New Year and also the day when Germany invaded Poland and set the world at war. Gandhiji had wished the Jewish people an era of peace in his letter.
- The United States (US) topped the IMD World Digital Competitiveness ranking 2019 followed by Singapore in the second place. India moved four places from 48th to 44th this year. Published by the Swiss-based International Institute for Management Development since 2017, the ranking measures the readiness and capacity of 63 economies to adopt digital technologies.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who has been appointed as the Chairman of Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC)?
- Air Marshal Harjit Singh Arora
- Air Marshal RKS Bhadauria
- General Bipin Rawat
- Air Marshal B Suresh
Q2. When was the Punyabhushan Award presented for the first time?
Q3. On which day is the World Tourism Day observed?
- September 25
- September 26
- September 27
- September 28
Q4. Who is the first Asian to be appointed as the Chairman of the International Egg Commission?
- Harish Verma
- Narendra Gupta
- Suresh Chitturi
- Manveer Singh
Q5. Who is the first Arab astronaut to travel to the International Space Station (ISS)?
- Abdul Aziz
- Hazza Al Mansouri
- Mohammad Faris
- Mohammad Salman
Q6. Which country topped the IMD World Digital Competitiveness ranking 2019?