Current Affairs Capsule – 31 October 2019
- October 31, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Dr. Harsh Vardhan released the 14th National Health Profile (NHP) 2019, prepared by the Central Bureau of Health Intelligence (CBHI), on October 30, 2019. Life Expectancy in India has increased from 49.7 years in 1970-75 to 68.7 years in 2012-16. Life Expectancy of females is 70.2 years and males is 67.4 years. Infant Mortality Rate has declined from 33 per 1000 live births in 2016 to 37 in rural and 23 in urban in 2019. The highest population density was reported in Delhi with 11,320 people per square km and the lowest population density was reported in Arunachal Pradesh with 17 people per square km.
- Nagaland Government has launched Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio’s initiative ‘Nagaland Government Ex-gratia Scheme for Students Studying outside Nagaland’ (NGESSO) to provide a financial assistance of Rs. 5 lakh as a one-time payment to the families of students in case of the unfortunate death of any student while studying outside state. The scheme will be implemented by the department of higher education with effect from the year 2019-20.
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Dr Harsh Vardhan inaugurated the National Symposium on the theme ‘United to Eliminate Lymphatic Filariasis’ on 30th October, 2019. The minister also signed the “Call to Action to eliminate Lymphatic Filariasis by 2021”. The Government of India launched the Accelerate Plan for Elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis (APELF) in 2018.
- The World Cities Day (WCD) is observed every year on 31st October to promote the international community’s interest in global urbanization. Under the general theme “Better City, Better Life”, the sub-theme for this year is ‘Changing the world: Innovations and better life for future generations’. Established in 2013, the day aims to address the challenges of urbanization and to contribute to sustainable urban development around the world.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 29th October, 2019 held extensive talks with Saudi Arabia’s top leadership during which a Strategic Partnership Council was established to coordinate on important issues. Both the countries signed over a dozen agreements in several key sectors including oil and gas, defence and civil aviation to bolster their ties. Mr. Modi is on a two-day visit to the Gulf Kingdom to attend the Future Investment Initiative and held talks with King Salman bin Abdulaziz and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has released a special commemorative coin on Paramahansa Yogananda to mark his 125th birth anniversary on 29th October, 2019. He founded the Yogoda Satsanga Society of India in 1917 and the Self-Realization Fellowship in 1920 in USA. In 1977, India released a commemorative stamp to honour Yogananda. On 7th March 2017, Prime Minister Narendra Modi released another commemorative postage stamp honouring the 100th anniversary of the Yogoda Satsanga Society of India.
- Union Human Resource Development Minister, Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ will inaugurate the Ek Bharat Shreshth Bharat Parv, being organized by the Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) under the Ministry of Human Resource Development at the India Gate in New Delhi from 31st October to 3rd November, 2019. This event is primarily meant to showcase the spirit of ‘Ek Bharat Shreshth Bharat’ and also to promote the communication and artistic skills of students through various competitions. Begun in 1963, the KVS is one of the world’s largest chains of schools.
- Vice President Venkaiah Naidu unveiled a 15-point reform charter for a new political normal to enable effective functioning of the Parliament and the State Legislatures. He urged parties to ensure attendance of at least 50% of their legislators all through the proceedings of the House by adopting a roster system. He also called for a thorough review of the anti-defection law in view of its shortcomings.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. What is the Life Expectancy of females in India?
- 68.7 years
- 70.2 years
- 67.4 years
- 72.4 years
Q2. Which is the highest population density state/UT in India?
- Arunachal Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh
Q3. On which day is the World Cities Day (WCD) observed every year?
- October 27
- October 28
- October 30
- October 31
Q4. With which country did India establish the Strategic Partnership Council recently?
- Saudi Arabia
Q5. When was the Yogoda Satsanga Society of India established?
Q6. When did the Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan begin?