CURRENT AFFAIRS CAPSULE – 4 AUGUST 2019
- August 4, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) is observed globally from 1st to 7th August 2019 with the theme ‘Empower Parents, Enable Breastfeeding’. The focus of this year is on protection, promotion and support of breastfeeding. WBW was first inaugurated in 1991 and was first celebrated in 1992 by the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA).
- The Parliament passed the Repealing and Amending Bill, 2019 that seeks to repeal certain enactments and to amend certain other enactments. It provides for repealing 58 old Laws which have no relevance today. It also seeks to make minor amendments to the Income Tax Act, 1961 and the India Institutes of Management Act, 2017.
- The Parliament passed Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Bill, 2019 to empower Central Government to designate any individual as a terrorist and seize his property, if they are found committing, preparing for, promoting, or involved in an act of terror. The bill seeks to amend the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967.
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar attended the 10th Mekong Ganga Cooperation (MGC) Ministerial Meeting held in Bangkok, during which a new MGC Plan of Action 2019-2022 was adopted. Launched in 2000, Mekong Ganga Cooperation (MGC) is a sub-regional cooperation organisation comprising India and five ASEAN countries – Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam.
- A research paper titled ‘Interrogating Indus inscription to unravel their mechanism of meaning conveyance’, claimed that majority of Indus Valley inscriptions were written logographically (by using word signs) and not by using phonograms (speech sounds units). It could serve as a basis in the future for deciphering the Indus Valley script.
- President Ram Nath Kovind has been awarded the National Order of Merit, the highest award of Guinea by the President of Guinea for his exceptional contribution to the advancement of overall relations and development of mutual cooperation between India and Guinea. President Kovind had announced a new Line of Credit of US$ 170 million for the Water Supply Project of Conakry city.
- The Parliament passed the Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India, AERA (Amendment) Bill, 2019 that seeks to amend the Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India Act, 2008 that defines a major airport as one with annual passenger traffic over 15 lakh, or any other airports, as notified by the Central Government. The bill increases the threshold of annual passenger traffic for major airports to over 35 lakh passengers.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the first World Breastfeeding Week celebrated?
Q2. The Repealing and Amending Bill, 2019 seeks to repeal __________laws
Q3. When was the Mekong Ganga Cooperation (MGC) launched?
Q4. Who has been awarded the National Order of Merit, the highest award of Guinea?
- Ramnath Kovind
- Narendra Modi
- Venkaiah Nadu
- Amit Shah
Q5. The Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India, AERA (Amendment) Bill, 2019 increased the threshold of annual passenger traffic to ___________ lakh passengers.