Current Affairs Capsule – 4 September 2019
- September 4, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- ‘Garvi Gujarat’, the second state bhavan of the Gujarat government was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi. This is the first eco-friendly state bhavan in New Delhi. It is built in more than 7,000 sq metres of area at a cost of around Rs. 131 crores by the Gujarat Government.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be honoured with an award by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for his ambitious project Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan (SBA), during his visit to the United States in September 2019. He had launched the Swachh Bharat Mission on October 2, 2014, as a national movement which aims to achieve the vision of a ‘Clean India’ by 2nd October, 2019 to mark the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is reported to be the largest private foundation in the world. It was founded by Bill and Melinda Gates in 2000.
- The first ever Terracotta Grinder was launched by the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) at Sewapuri in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh to reuse wasted pottery. Designed by the KVIC Chairman Vinai Kumar Saxena, the machine will be used for grinding the waste and broken pottery items for re-using them in pottery-making. The Terracotta Grinder was fabricated by a Rajkot-based engineering unit. KVIC was founded in 1956 with an aim to plan, promote, facilitate, organise and assist in the establishment and development of khadi and village industries.
- The first ASEAN-US Maritime Exercise (AUMX) between the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the United States kicked off at the Sattahip Naval Base in Thailand. The five day naval exercise is co-led by the navies of US and Thailand. It will stretch into the international waters in Southeast Asia, including Gulf of Thailand and South China Sea and conclude in Singapore. It will see the participation of navies of all the 10 member countries of ASEAN.
- The 72nd session of the World Health Organization (WHO) Regional Committee for South-East Asia (SEA) was inaugurated by the Union Minister of Health, Harsh Vardhan in New Delhi. This is the second time India is hosting the event. Harsh Vardhan was unanimously elected as the Chair of the 72nd session. He called for a ‘mission-mode approach’ for creating and spreading public health success stories from the region.
- Ministry of Earth Sciences for deep ocean mining for rare minerals launched the ‘Samudrayaan’ project, which proposes to send three men into the deep sea in a submersible vehicle to a depth of about 6000 metres to carry out various deep underwater studies. The submersible vehicle, which will be indigenously developed, would be capable of crawling on the sea bed at a depth of 6 km for 72 hours. The project has been undertaken by the National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT).
- Central Board of Film Certification’s (CBFC) Chairman, Prasoon Joshi revealed the CBFC’s new logo and certificate identity at a first-of-its-kind film industry interaction between eminent industry leaders and the CBFC board members held in Mumbai, Maharashtra. The new logo and certificate identity were designed by Rohit Devgun.
- President of Indonesia Joko Widodo announced that the country is going to move its current capital from Jakarta (on the Island of Java) to East Kalimantan (on Borneo Island). The shifting of the capital city is a part of a broader strategy to decentralise Indonesia’s economic growth as Jakarta is home to 60% of the country’s population and accounts for over half of its economic activity. Kalimantan is almost four times bigger that Jakarta.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be awarded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for his project ____________
- Mission Gaganyaan
- Mission Samudrayaan
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan
- Digital India
Q2. Where was the first ever Terracotta Grinder launched?
Q3. When was the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) launched?
Q4. Where is the first ASEAN-US Maritime Exercise (AUMX) between ASEAN and the United States being conducted?
Q5. Who has undertaken the ‘Samudrayaan’ project?
- National Institute of Ocean Sciences
- National Institute of Ocean Technology
- Ministry of Earth Sciences
- National Institute of Water Life