Current Affairs Capsule – 5 November 2019
- November 5, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Senior Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Aditya Mishra has been appointed as the Chairman of the Land Ports Authority of India (LPAI) for a tenure of five years. Mishra, a 1989 batch IPS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre, is presently posted as the ADG, CBCID, Uttar Pradesh Police. The LPAI is a statutory body set up by the Land Ports Authority of India Act, 2010 on 1st March, 2012 under the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
- ICEDASH, a new IT initiative for improved monitoring and pace of customs clearance of imported goods has been launched by Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, Nirmala Sitharaman. The ICEDASH would reduce interface and increase transparency of customs’ functioning. It has been developed by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) in collaboration with the National Informatics Centre (NIC).
- World Tsunami Awareness Day is observed every year on 5th November across the globe to spread awareness among people across the world in matters related to the dangers of tsunami. In 2019, the day aims to promote Target (d) of the “Sendai Seven Campaign”, which focuses on reducing disaster damage to critical infrastructure and disruption of basic services. In December 2015, the United Nations General Assembly designated 5th November as World Tsunami Awareness Day. The first World Tsunami Awareness Day was observed across the world on 5th November 2016.
- India and Uzbekistan signed three Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) to enhance cooperation in Military Medicine and Military Education during the three-day visit of Defence Minister Rajnath Singh to Uzbekistan. Rajnath Singh held the bilateral consultations with his Uzbekistan counterpart Major General Bakhodir Nizamovich Kurbanov. Both the ministers also presided over the opening of the first-ever India-Uzbekistan Joint Exercise called Dustlik-2019.
- The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) released its “Southeast Asia, China and India 2020” report at the ASEAN summit, 2019. As per the report, India’s gross domestic product (GDP) is likely to grow at 6.6% in 2020-24, lower than its 2013-17 average of 7.4%. The organization has predicted a regional GDP growth of 5.7% over 2020-24, down from 6.7% in 2013-17. Among the ASEAN countries, Vietnam and Philippines will remain as the growth leaders.
- The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development has announced the setting up of anti-human trafficking units in all districts of the country with the help of the Nirbhaya Fund. In addition to this, women help desks will also be set up in all police stations across the country. The Nirbhaya Fund was announced by the Centre in 2013 to support the initiatives of the government and Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) working towards the safety of women.
- India and Germany signed eight agreements in the sectors of flexibilisation in thermal power plants, demand-side energy, renewable energies, low carbon growth strategies and green energy corridors, during the 8th Indo-German Energy Forum, conducted in New Delhi. Sanjiv Nandan Sahai, Secretary (Power) and Christian Hirte, Federal Ministry of Economic Affairs and Energy co-chaired the forum. The Forum was established in 2006 to enhance and deepen the strategic political dialogue on the ongoing energy transition in both the countries.
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah will inaugurate the Shanghai Cooperation Organization Joint Exercise on Urban Earthquake Search and Rescue (SCOJtEx-2019) that will be held from 4th November to 7th November, 2019 in New Delhi and will be hosted by the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF). It aims to rehearse the disaster response mechanism, share knowledge, experience and technology for mutual coordination.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the Land Ports Authority of India (LPAI) established?
Q2. On which day is the World Tsunami Awareness Day observed every year?
- November 1
- November 3
- November 4
- November 5
Q3. India and ________signed three Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) to enhance cooperation in Military Medicine and Military Education.
Q4. What is the projected GDP growth of India as per the “Southeast Asia, China and India 2020” report?
Q5. When was the Nirbhaya Fund announced by the Centre?
Q6. When was the Indo-German Energy Forum established?
Q7. Where will the Shanghai Cooperation Organization Joint Exercise on Urban Earthquake Search and Rescue “SCOJtEx-2019” be held?
- New Delhi