Current Affairs Capsule – 6 December 2019
- December 6, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Parliament has passed the Prohibition of Electronic Cigarettes (Production, Manufacture, Import, Export, Transport, Sale, Distribution, Storage and Advertisement) Bill, 2019. The Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Dr. Harsh Vardhan had introduced the bill in the Lok Sabha. Any person breaking the law will be punishable with imprisonment of up to 1 year or a fine of up to 1 lakh rupees or both.
- According to the “Top 100 City Destination Ranking” released by the Euro Monitor International, Delhi is ranked 11th. Various cultural traditions and enriching history gave Delhi this pedestal. For three consecutive years, Hong Kong has remained at the top. There are seven other Indian cities in the top 100 and 43 Asian cities feature in the list as well.
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) awarded a 4-star rating to the Mumbai Central Terminus of the Western Railway and also certified it as India’s first ‘Eat Right Station’. The certification was awarded as part of the ‘Eat Right India’ movement that was started in 2019.
- Under the schemes PRASHAD and Swadesh Darshan, the Ministry of Tourism sanctioned 18 projects in order to develop the North Eastern region as a tourist destination. An amount of Rs. 1456 crores has been allocated for these projects and television campaigns on private channels as well as Doordarshan have been released. In addition to these efforts, the Ministry of Tourism also organizes International Tourism Mart every year in the North East.
- The Christopher Martin Jenkins Spirt of Cricket Award for 2019 was awarded to the New Zealand team. The award comes in light after due recognition was given to the New Zealand team for their sporting conduct following a dramatic defeat by England in the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019 final at Lord’s in July 2019. The award was created in 2013 in memory of Martin-Jenkins, former Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) President and BBC Test Match Special commentator to honour his longstanding desire to see the game of cricket being played in the right spirit.
- The France Football magazine announced the winners of the 2019 Ballon d’Or awards (Golden Ball), which recognizes the best footballer in the world. Lionel Messi of Argentina and Barcelona FC won the Ballon d’Or for a record 6th time in his career. He has won the title previously in the years 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2015.
- The World Soil Day is observed on December 5th every year after it was endorsed by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in 2013 and officially adopted through a resolution at the 68th UN General Assebly. The theme for this year was “Stop Soil Erosion, Save Our Future”. The focus for this year’s World Soil Day was on the Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 15, which is, “Life on Land”. The International Union of Social Scienes (IUSS), founded in 1924, was the first to introduce the concept of World Soil Day in 2002.
- Films Division and BookMyShow (BMS) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the online ticketing for visiting the National Museum of Indian Cinema (NMIC) that is located at the Films Division complex in Mumbai, Maharashtra. The NMIC is the only museum in India dedicated to cinema and is an institution of national importance. The history of Indian cinema is showcased in the museum with the help of rare artefacts and digital elements and properties including costumes.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. The Parliament recently passed the Prohibition of __________ (Production, Manufacture, Import, Export, Transport, Sale, Distribution, Storage and Advertisement) Bill, 2019.
- Electronic Cigarettes
Q2. What is Delhi’s rank in the “Top 100 City Destination Ranking” released by Euro Monitor International?
Q3. The Central Terminus of which city became India’s first ‘Eat Right Station’?
Q4. PRASHAD and Swadesh Darshan are two schemes under which ministry?
- Railways Ministry
- Family and Child Welfare Ministry
- Tourism Ministry
- Foreign Affairs Ministry
Q5. Which country’s cricket team was awarded the Christopher Martin Jenkins Spirt of Cricket Award for 2019?
- South Africa
- New Zealand
Q6. Lionel Messi won the Ballon d’Or 2019 for a record ___ time in his career.
Q7. When is World Soil Day observed?
- 5th December
- 6th December
- 7th December
- 8th December
Q8. In which city is the National Museum of Indian Cinema (NMIC) located?
- New Delhi