CURRENT AFFAIRS CAPSULE – 7 AUGUST 2019
- August 7, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Parliament passed the Consumer Protection Bill, 2019, which aims at protecting the interests of consumers by establishing authorities for timely and effective administration and settlement of consumers’ dispute. The bill has a provision to set up a Central Consumer Protection Authority (CCPA) to promote, protect and enforce the rights of consumers.
- India’s first wireless 3D Smart Traffic Signal System called Intelights has been launched by the Mohali traffic police in Punjab. It works on an Intelligent Traffic Timer Control to regulate traffic signals with a smart bird’s eye view using wireless sensor system. Currently, the timers of traffic lights display for a preset value, which leads to waste of time.
- Rajasthan Prohibition of Interference with the Freedom of Matrimonial Alliances in the Name of Honour and Tradition Bill, 2019 that makes honour killing punishable by death penalty or life imprisonment, has been passed by the Rajasthan Assembly. It is the first state in India to have a special law to deal with hate crime against couples.
- National Handloom Day is celebrated across India on 7th August, 2019 every year to honour handloom weavers in India and to highlight India’s handloom industry. In July 2015, Government of India declared 7th August as National Handloom Day to commemorate the Swadeshi Movement, which was launched on 7 August 1905 in the Calcutta Town Hall to protest against Bengal partition.
- Former External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj passed away at the age of 67 in New Delhi on 6th August after suffering a massive cardiac arrest. She was the second woman to hold the office of EAM, after former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. Sushma Swaraj was a seven-time Member of Parliament and a three-time MLA. She was the External Affairs Minister from 2014 to 2019, Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha from 2009 to 2014, the Minister for Information and Broadcasting in the Vajpayee Government from 2000-2003. She won the Best Parliamentarian Award in 2007. She was also the Chief Minister of Delhi in 1998.
- Draft e-Commerce guidelines for Consumer Protection, 2019 which will be applicable on all business-to-consumer (B2C) e-commerce platforms has been published by the Union Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution (Department of Consumer Affairs). It makes mandatory for e-commerce platforms to declare all the details about their sellers including address, website and email address.
- India contributed USD 5 million to the UN Palestine Refugee Agency and called for ensuring sustained fiscal support for the organisation’s work on 6th August, 2019. India increased its annual financial assistance to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), from USD 1.25 million to USD 5 million, when Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Palestine in February 2018. The current Representative of India (ROI) in Palestine is Sunil Kumar. UNRWA was founded on 8th December, 1949.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Where is India’s first wireless 3D Smart Traffic Signal System called Intelights launched?
- New Delhi
- West Bengal
Q2. Who was the first woman External Affairs Minister in India?
- Sushma Swaraj
- Indira Gandhi
- Nirmala Seetharaman
- Pratibha Patil
Q3. When was the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) founded?
Q4. Who is the current Representative of India (ROI) in Palestine?
- Sushil Kumar
- Ramesh Khanna
- Sunil Kumar
- Prakash Sharma
Q5. When did the Government of India declare 7th August as National Handloom Day?