Current Affairs Capsule – 1 November 2019
- November 1, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Girish Chandra Murmu became the first Lieutenant Governor of Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, after he was administered the Oath of Office and Secrecy by Justice Gita Mittal, Chief Justice of Jammu and Kashmir High Court, on 31st October, 2019. G C Murmu, a 1985 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of Gujarat cadre, has served as the Principal Secretary to Narendra Modi, during his tenure as the Chief Minister of Gujarat. The formation of the new Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir comes under the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019.
- Sharjah International Book Fair (SIBF) 2019, a 11-day international book fair held annually in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates (UAE), was inaugurated by Sheikh Dr Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, the sovereign ruler of the Emirate of Sharjah and the Federal Supreme Council Member. The Guest of Honour country at the 38th SIBF is the Republic of Mexico and the Principal Guest of Honour is Steve Harvey, America’s most-loved host. The first edition of the SIBF was launched in 1982.
- Technology Demonstration Site was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Kevadia, Gujarat on 31st October, 2019 as a part of the National Unity Day celebrations that commemorates Sardar Vallabhai Patel’s birth anniversary. The site consisted of displays of police and paramilitary forces. It showcased various modern technologies that included lethal and non-lethal arms.
- Union Minister of Home Affairs Amit Shah inaugurated a new building of the Police Headquarters (PHQ) on 31st October, 2019 to commemorate Sardar Vallabhai Patel’s birth anniversary. Built at a cost of 286 crores, PHQ was under taken on a public private partnership mode. Delhi Police Force comes under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Home Affairs and not under the Government of Delhi.
- The Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy is scheduled to host the 2nd assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) on 30th and 31st October, 2019 in New Delhi. French Deputy Minister Brune Porison along with Union Minister of State for New and Renewable Energy Raj Kumar Singh will co-chair the assembly. The ISA is an alliance of 121 countries initiated by India to work for efficient exploitation of solar energy to reduce dependence on fossil fuels.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s birth anniversary – 31st October – is celebrated across India as “National Unity Day” or “Rashtriya Ekta Diwas” as a tribute to the country’s first home minister, who led the task of integrating princely states into the Union of India after Independence in 1947. On this occasion in 2019, Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh have officially become Union Territories. The day is being celebrated since 2014.
- The Harvard Business Review (HBR) released ‘The Best-Performing CEOs in World, 2019′, a list including 100 best-performing Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) around the world. Jensen Huang, the CEO of NVIDIA, an American technology company, topped the list. Three Indian-origin CEOs, who have been included in the top 10, are Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen (6th), MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga (7th) and Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella (9th). The list also includes India-born CEO of DBS Piyush Gupta on the 89th spot.
- The State Disaster Management Authority organised the Odisha Disaster Preparedness Day and National Day for Disaster Reduction on 29th October, 2019 with the theme ‘Empowering Community for Disaster Resilience’. The State government has been observing the Disaster Preparedness Day on 29th October every year to commemorate the Super Cyclone in 1999 that had hit the state’s coast killing more than 10,000 people.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who is the first Lieutenant Governor of Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir?
- Satya Pal Malik
- Radha Krishna Mathur
- Girish Chandra Murmu
- Ravi Prasad Sharma
Q2. Who was the Guest of Honour country at the Sharjah International Book Fair (SIBF) 2019?
- Republic of Mexico
- Republic of Korea
Q3. When was the first edition of the Sharjah International Book Fair (SIBF) launched?
Q4. National Unity Day is observed on the birth anniversary of _______
- Jawahar Lal Nehru
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
Q5. Who is not among the top 10 of ‘The Best-Performing CEOs in World, 2019′?
- Wipro CEO Azim Premji
- Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen
- MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Q6. Which state observes the Disaster Preparedness Day on 29th October?
- Tamil Nadu