Current Affairs Capsule – 11 November 2019
- November 11, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- National Education Day is observed every year in India on 11th November to commemorate the birth anniversary of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, the first education minister of independent India, who served from 15th August, 1947 to 2nd February, 1958. The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development announced on 11th September, 2008 that the day will be observed every year on 11th November from 2008.
- Shivsena MP Arvind Sawant has resigned as the Union Minister of Heavy Industries in the BJP-led NDA Government. He is the Lok Sabha MP from South Mumbai. The resignation comes as the BJP declined to form government in Maharashtra. While Shiv Sena has been making efforts to reach out to the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) and the Congress, NCP had set the condition that Shiv Sena will have to first walk out of the NDA, if it wants their support. In the 288 member Assembly, BJP is the single largest party with 105 seats, followed by Shiv Sena with 56 MLAs. NCP has 54 lawmakers while Congress tally stands at 44.
- The Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has given the environment clearance to the Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) to set up a new 2G Ethanol plant at Panipat. The estimated investment in setting up the plant is Rs 766 crores. The ethanol produced here will be used for blending in transportation fuel. Founded in 1959, the IOCL is an Indian state government owned oil and gas company headquartered in New Delhi.
- Wildlife biologist K. Ullas Karanth, Director of Centre for Wildlife Studies, Bengaluru, was awarded the George Schaller Lifetime Award in Wildlife Conservation Science for his contribution to the field of conservation. He is the first recipient of the award instituted by the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), New York. The award is named after WCS’s Dr. George Schaller, a world leader in wildlife conservation.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Integrated Check Post of the Kartarpur Corridor at Dera Baba Nanak, Gurdaspur in Punjab on 9th November, 2019. He also flagged off the first batch of over 500 Indian pilgrims led by Akal Takhat Jathedar Giani Harpreet Singh to Gurdwara Darbar Sahib through the corridor, which was opened to the public on the occasion of the 550th birth anniversary of Sikhism founder Guru Nanak Dev.
- National School of Drama (NSD) organised the 11th edition of the Bal Sangam festival in New Delhi from 9th November to 12th November, 2019. The four-day festival will showcase enthralling folk and traditional performing arts and folk theatre dedicated to children. The NSD was set up by the Sangeet Natak Akademi as one of its constituent units in 1959 but later in 1975, it was registered as an autonomous organization under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
- Union Minister of State for Human Resources Development Sanjay Dhotre launched an e-governance school automation and management system for the Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti (NVS) called Shala Darpan Portal. It will integrate all Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas with a common standard which includes around 636 schools and 2.67 million students. The platform aims to meet the educational and administrative needs of all stakeholders.
- The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research-National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (CSIR-NEERI) has launched India’s first online repository called IndAIR (Indian Air quality Interactive Repository), which documents the air quality studies done in the last 60 years. Established in Nagpur in 1958, the CSIR-NEERI is a research institute created and funded by the Government of India.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Since when is the National Education Day being observed in India?
Q2. When was the Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) founded?
Q3. Who is the first recipient of the George Schaller Lifetime Award in Wildlife Conservation Science?
- Latika Nath
- J.T Johnsingh
- K. Ullas Karanth
- Valmik Thapar
Q4. Where was the 11th edition of Bal Sangam festival held?
- New Delhi
Q5. When was the National School of Drama (NSD) set up?
Q6. When was the CSIR-National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (CSIR-NEERI) established?