Current Affairs Capsule – 11 October 2019
- October 11, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Polish author Olga Tokarczuk won the Nobel Prize in Literature 2018 for her narrative imagination that represents the crossing of boundaries as a form of life while the Nobel Prize in Literature 2019 has been awarded to Peter Handke of Austria for his influential work that explores the specificity of human experience. The first Nobel Prize in Literature was awarded in 1901 to Sully Prudhomme of France.
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Harsh Vardhan inaugurated the 13th Conference of Central Council of Health and Family Welfare to build a consensus on national health priorities i.e. Universal Health Coverage (UHC) through Ayushman Bharat, eliminating TB and other priority agendas that included strengthening medical infrastructure.
- The first ever India International Cooperatives Trade Fair (IICTF) will be held from 11th to 13th October, 2019 in New Delhi to provide a single platform to the farmers, artisans and other members of the cooperatives directly to the global trade arena. Steered by the National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC), the Fair is being conducted with the support of one international organization (NEDAC), three Ministries, four State Governments and several apex level Indian cooperative organizations.
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare launched the Surakshit Matritva Aashwasan (SUMAN) scheme that provides free medicine to pregnant women at the 13th Conference of Central Council of Health and Family Welfare. It is aimed at reducing the Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR) and Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) in the country. India’s maternal mortality rate has declined from 254 deaths per 1 lakh births in 2004-2006 to 130 deaths per 1 lakh births in 2014-2016.
- World No. 1 Novak Djokovic of Serbia won the Japan Open Title by defeating Australian John Millman by 6-3, 6-2 in straight sets. The Japan Open Tennis Title is being held since 1973 and it includes men’s singles and doubles competitions.
- World Post Day is celebrated every year across the world on 9th October to commemorate the anniversary of the Universal Postal Union (UPU), which was started in 1874 in Switzerland. In 1948, the UPU became an agency of the United Nations. World Post Day was started in 1969 and is celebrated since then.
- John B Goodenough, M Stanley Whittingham and Akira Yoshino have been awarded the 2019 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the development of lithium ion batteries. These are wireless and fossil fuel-free batteries. Royal Swedish Academy for Sciences presents the Nobel Prize in Chemistry every year to the scientists in various fields of chemistry. The first Nobel Prize in Chemistry was awarded in 1901 to Jacobus Henricus van ‘t Hoff, of the Netherlands.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who won the Nobel Prize in Literature 2019?
- Olga Tokarczuk
- Peter Handke
- Sully Prudhomme
- Both a and b
Q2. Where was the first India International Cooperatives Trade Fair (IICTF)?
- New Delhi
Q3. What was the Maternal Mortality Rate in India during 2014-2016?( per 1 lakh births)
Q4. On which day is the World Post Day observed?
- October 5
- October 7
- October 9
- October 10
Q5. Who won the first Nobel Prize in Chemistry?
- Emil Adolf von Behring
- Jacobus Henricus van ‘t Hoff
- Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen
- Mary Curie