Current Affairs Capsule – 12 November 2019
- November 12, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Public Service Broadcasting Day is observed across India on 12th November every year to commemorate the first and last visit of the Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi to the studio of the All India Radio, Delhi in 1947 to address the displaced people from Pakistan who were temporarily settled in Kurukshetra, Haryana after the partition of the Indian subcontinent. The day was declared as the Jan Prasaran Diwas (Public Service Broadcasting Day) in 2000, after it was conceptualized by Suhas Borker, the Convenor of Jan Prasar.
- The 550th birth anniversary of the first Sikh guru and founder of Sikhism Guru Nanak Dev is being celebrated on 12th November as Prakash Parv. Guru Nanak Dev was a philosopher, social reformer, thinker and poet. President Ram Nath Kovind will take part in the festivities at Sultanpur Lodhi in Kapurthala district of Punjab, where Guru Nanak spent more than 15 years and attained enlightenment.
- Justice Amreshwar Pratap Sahi was sworn-in as the Chief Justice of the Madras High Court on 11th November, 2019. He was administered the oath of office by Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit. Earlier, he was working as the Chief Justice of the Patna High Court. Sahi will succeed Vijaya Tahilramani, who had resigned as chief justice after the Supreme Court collegium declined her request for a reconsideration of her transfer to Meghalaya. After her resignation, Justice V Kothari was designated as the acting chief justice.
- The Brown to Green Report 2019 is the world’s most comprehensive review of G20 climate action which provides concise and comparable information on G20 country mitigation action, finance and adaptation. It is developed by experts from 14 research organizations and NGOs and covers 80 indicators. The G20 countries are responsible for around 80% of global greenhouse gas emissions and 85% of the global GDP. In the G20 countries, around 70% of climate impacts could be avoided by limiting global warming to 1.5°C instead of 3°C. Australia was the worst performing country in terms of climate response.
- World Science Day for Peace and Development is observed every year on 10th November to highlight the significant role of science in society and the need to engage wider public in debates on emerging scientific issues. The theme for 2019 is ‘Open science, leaving no one behind’. The day was proclaimed by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 2001 and celebrated for the first time in 2002.
- Def Connect, an event to showcase the accomplishments of Innovations for Defence Exellence (iDEX), was organised by the Union Ministry of Defence (MoD) on 11th November, 2019. During the event, iDEX portal and Defence India Startup Challenge (DISC) were also launched. Introduced in 2018, the iDEX aims to create an ecosystem that will encourage technology development in the defence sector.
- Former Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Tirunellai Narayana Iyer Seshan, at the age of 87, passed away on 10th November, 2019. He, a 1955 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of Tamil Nadu cadre, served as the 10th Chief Election Commissioner of India from 12th December, 1990 to 11th December 1996. He introduced Voter ID in India in 1993 and also enforced the Model Code of Conduct. He was awarded the Ramon Magsaysay Award in 1996.
- Union Minister of Petroleum, Natural Gas and Steel, Dharmendra Pradhan is going to visit UAE from 10th November to 12th November, 2019 to attend the inaugural Ministerial session of Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference. He is scheduled to meet his UAE counterpart Minister of Energy and Industry, Suhail Mohamed Faraj Al Mazrouei to discuss the issues of bilateral hydrocarbon as well as steel sector engagements. India will explore the opportunities for steel exports to the middle-east countries.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. On which day is the Public Service Broadcasting Day observed?
- 9th November
- 10th November
- 11th November
- 12th November
Q2. Who has been appointed as the new Chief Justice of the Madras High Court?
- Justice Vijaya Tahilramani
- Justice V Kothari
- Justice AP Sahi
- Justice KL Sharma
Q3. The G20 countries are responsible for around _________% of global greenhouse gas emissions.
Q4. When was the World Science Day for Peace and Development celebrated for the first time?
Q5. iDEX is an initiative of ___
- Ministry of Home Affairs
- Ministry of Human Resource Development
- Ministry of Defence
- Ministry of External Affairs
Q6. Who introduced the Voter ID in India?
- MS Gill
- TN Seshan
- VS Ramadevi
- TS krishnnamurthy