Current Affairs Capsule – 12 October 2019
- October 12, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Union Minister for Communications, Electronics and IT Ravi Shankar Prasad announced that the India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) has rolled out Aadhaar Enabled Payment System Services (AePS). With this, the IPPB has now become the single largest platform in India for providing interoperable banking services to customers. Founded on 1st September, 2018, IPPB is a 100% government owned payments bank.
- South Asia’s first cross-border petroleum products pipeline from Motihari, Bihar in India to Amlekhgunj in Nepal was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Nepal counterpart KP Sharma Oli through a video conference. It is a 69-kilometre pipeline with a capacity of 2 million metric tons (MMT) per annum. The Motihari-Amlekhgunj oil pipeline project was first proposed in 1996.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi met the Prime Minister of St. Vincent and Grenadines Dr. Ralph Everard Gonsalves, who is on the first-ever visit of a Prime Minister of St. Vincent and Grenadines to India, in New Delhi. He is also participating in the high-level United Nations Convention on Combating Desertification (UNCCD). Both of them agreed to enhance cooperation between the two nations in areas of skill development, education, training, culture, disaster management and finance.
- Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare Aswini Kumar Choubey announced that the government is going to set up a National Genomic Grid, so as to take cancer research to the next level and make treatment viable for people of different economic classes. This National Genomic Grid will study genomic data of cancer patients from India.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the National Animal Disease Control Programme (NADCP) that aims towards eradicating Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) and Brucellosis in livestock on 11th September, 2019 in Mathura, Uttar Pradesh. As per government data, if a cow gets infected with FMD, the milk loss is up to 100% which could last for 4 to 6 months.
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated the 68th Plenary Session of the North Eastern Council (NEC) in Guwahati, Assam on 8th September, 2019. The two-day session suggested increasing the scope of NEC’s interventions in the region and improving the funds’ flow to the states. NEC is a statutory advisory body constituted under the NEC Act, 1971 and came into being on 7th November, 1972 at Shillong.
- Under Swachhta Hi Sewa 2019, the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) under the Union Ministry of Commerce & Industry will launch the Plastic Waste Management Campaign on 11th September, 2019. The theme of this year’s Swachhta Hi Sewa, which is beginning from 11th September, is ‘Plastic Waste Management’.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) founded?
Q2. When was the Motihari-Amlekhgunj oil pipeline project first proposed?
Q3. National Genomic Grid will research on _______
Q4. What is the theme of Swachhta Hi Sewa 2019?
- Plastic Waste Management
- Sanitation is everyone’s business
- Swachh Neer
- Cleanliness in our daily life
Q5. When did the North Eastern Council (NEC) come into existence?