Current Affairs Capsule – 14 November 2019
- November 14, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Ravi Prakash, an Indian PhD scholar of the ICAR-National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI), Bangalore, has won the 25,000 US Dollar BRICS-Young Innovator Prize for inventing an affordable indigenous milk chilling unit for smaller and marginal rural dairy farmers. He was part of a 21-member delegation sent to Brazil by the Department of Science and Technology for the 4th BRICS-Young Scientist Forum (YSF), 2019.
- India kicked off a USD 43 million project to boost climate resilience that may positively impact over 10 million people living on the coastlines of Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Odisha. The project is funded by the Green Climate Fund, established within the framework of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) to assist developing countries.
- The first edition of the Dhaka Global Dialogue to be held from 11th November to 13th November, 2019 in Bangladesh was inaugurated by the Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina. The three-day long programme is being jointly organised by the Observer Research Foundation (ORF), India and the Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies (BIISS). Over 150 delegates from 50 countries are participating in the conference to discuss some of the most pressing global imperatives in the context of the Indo-Pacific region.
- A five-judge constitution bench comprising Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi, Justices NV Ramana, DY Chandrachud, Deepak Gupta and Sanjiv Khanna upheld the 2010 judgement of the Delhi High Court that the office of the Chief Justice of India is a public authority under the Right to Information Act. In 2010, the Central Information Commission (CIC) ordered the SC Central Public Information Officers (CPIOs) to provide information on personal assets possessed by the judges of the Supreme Court, which was challenged at the Delhi High Court, which ruled that the Supreme Court and the Chief Justice of India have a statutory duty to furnish information regarding administration and functioning of the Supreme Court.
- Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Tomar represented India at the 8th session of the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (ITPGRFA) in Rome, Italy. Popularly known as the International Seed Treaty, it was signed in 2001 and came into force on 29th June, 2004. Since 2006, it has its own governing body under the aegis of the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), which met for the first time in Madrid in June 2006.
- Sri Lanka has become the first South Asian nation to criminalize offences related to match-fixing after the Parliament passed all the three readings of the “Prevention of Offences Related to Sports” Bill on 11th November, 2019. As per it, offences related to corruption in sports will carry a prison term of up to 10 years and various fines.
- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Secretary General Vladimir Norov announced that the 19th Council of Heads of Government of the SCO in 2020 will be hosted by India. It is the first high-level meeting of the eight-member grouping to be organised by New Delhi after India’s admission into the grouping in 2017. The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Charter entered into force on 19th September, 2003. The members of the SCO are China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India and Pakistan.
- President Ram Nath Kovind on 12th November, 2019 approved the imposition of President’s rule in Maharashtra under Article 356(1) after the state governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari made a recommendation to that effect, citing his unsuccessful efforts in forming government in the state. The newly-elected Maharashtra assembly will be kept under suspended animation for now, and can be revived with the President’s rule being lifted when some party would be in a position to offer a stable government.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who won the BRICS-Young Innovator Prize 2019?
- Ramesh Sharma
- Ravi Prakash
- Surya Prakash
- Karthik Verma
Q2. When was the first edition of Dhaka Global Dialogue held?
Q3. When was the International Seed Treaty signed?
Q4. Which is the first South Asian nation to criminalize offences related to match-fixing?
- Sri Lanka
Q5. When was the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Charter entered into force?
Q6. President’s rule is imposed in Maharashtra under Article _______