CURRENT AFFAIRS CAPSULE – 15 AUGUST 2019
- August 15, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Organ Donation Day is observed on 13th August every year to motivate people to donate their healthy and precious organs after death to save lives. As per the National Health Portal, 500,000 people die due to non-availability of organs. Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare launched 6th World and 1st ever Indian Organ Donation Day and Organ Donation Congress in 2010 in New Delhi. In India, Transplantation of Human Organs Act (THOA), 1994, permits organ donation, and legitimizes concept of ‘brain death’.
- In a major step towards implementation of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, Information and Broadcasting Ministry has decided to implement Accessibility Standards for Persons with Disabilities in television programmes for private TV channels from 15th August 2019. The Ministry has also asked private satellite news TV channels to telecast a short programme on Independence Day celebrations, along with corresponding sign language interpretation.
- Corporate Affairs Secretary Injeti Srinivas presented the Report of the High Level Committee on CSR which recommends the making of CSR expenditure tax deductible and to make compliance violations as a civil offence that attracts penalties, to the Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman. High Level Committee on CSR was constituted in October 2018 the Chairmanship of Injeti Srinivas.
- India celebrated the 73rd Independence Day on 15th August, 1947. Prime Minister Narendra Modi hoisted the national flag at the ramparts of the historic Red Fort in Delhi and addressed the nation. On this day in 1947, the Parliament of UK passed the Indian Independence Act, 1947 transferring the legislative sovereignty to the Indian Constituent Assembly.
- The government has reconstituted the Inter State Council and the Standing Committee of the Inter State Council. Prime Minister Narendra Modi is the Chairman of the Inter State Council. Chief Ministers of all States and six Union Ministers including Rajnath Singh, Amit Shah and Nirmala Sitharaman are the members of the Council. Home Minister Amit Shah will be the Chairman of the Standing Committee of the Inter State Council.
- A total of 946 police personnel have been awarded medals on the occasion of Independence Day. President Police Medals for Gallantry have been awarded to three personnel, Police Medals for Gallantry to 177 personnel, and President’s Police Medals for Distinguished Service to 89 personnel. Police Medal for Meritorious Service has been awarded to 677 personnel.
- Secretary of Department of Agricultural Research and Education and Director General, ICAR Dr. Trilochan Mohapatra said that there has been a 41 per cent reduction in stubble burning incidents in 2018 as compared to that in 2016. This is the result of the various efforts under the Central Sector Scheme on Promotion of Agricultural Mechanization for In-Situ Management of Crop Residue in Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Delhi NCT. More than 4,500 villages in Punjab and Haryana were declared as Zero Stubble Burning Villages during 2018.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. On which day is the Organ Donation Day celebrated?
- August 14
- August 13
- August 12
- August 11
Q2. Who will be the Chairman of the Standing Committee of the Inter State Council?
- Nirmala Sithraman
- Rajnath Singh
- Narendra Modi
- Amit Shah
Q3. Who hoists the national flag at the Red Fort on Independence Day every year?
- Prime Minister
- Home minister
- Defence Minister
Q4. A total of ________police personnel have been awarded medals on the occasion of the Independence Day
Q5. There has been a ________per cent reduction in stubble burning incidents in 2018 as compared to that in 2016.