Current Affairs Capsule: 15 May 2019
- May 15, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Conference on Dialogue of Asian Civilizations will be hosted by China in Beijing, starting from 15 May to 22 May 2019. CDAC seeks to promote intercultural dialogue in view of building an “Asian Community of Shared Future”. The idea of hosting CDAC was proposed by President Xi Jinping at Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia (CICA) held in Shanghai, China in 2014.
- Chief of Naval Operations of US Navy, Admiral John Michael Richardson is on a three day official tour to India from 12 to 14 May 2019 and will meet Indian Navy’s Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Sunil Lanba in New Delhi. The visit is intended to consolidate bilateral naval relations between India and USA and as well as explore new avenues for naval cooperation between two nations.
- ITC Group’s present Managing Director (MD) Sanjiv Puri was elevated as new Chairman and Managing Director of company. His appointment comes after noted industry leader and erstwhile ITC Chairman Yogi C. Deveshwar died on 11 May 2019. ITC stands for ‘India Tobacco Company’, is India’s largest cigarette company. Established in 1910, it is headquartered in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Chhaya Sharma, deputy inspector general (DIG) at the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) of India and investigation officer of Nirbhaya rape case was felicitated with McCain Institute Award 2019. She was awarded with McCain Institute Award for Courage and Leadership. Being a DIG (Investigation) at NHRC since 2015, Sharma has been instrumental in bringing the voices of the victims of human rights’ violations for effective redressal by the National Commission.
- ‘Criczone’, world’s first exclusive women’s cricket magazine was released in India. It features Smriti Mandhana as cover story. Criczone stories will seek to empower young aspiring women cricketers to take the sport as a profession and able to make sustainable living. In CEAT International Cricket Awards 2019 Smriti Mandhana was given the International women cricketer of the year award.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on May 14, 2019 held a meeting with Foreign Minister of Iran Mohammad Javad Zarif in New Delhi. There was a good exchange of views on the evolving regional situation, including Afghanistan. On purchase of oil from Iran, the External Affairs Minister reiterated the position that a decision will be taken after the elections keeping in mind the country’s commercial considerations, energy security, and economic interests.
- India’s G.S. Lakshmi has become the first woman to be appointed to ICC’s international panel of match referees and will be eligible to officiate in international games with immediate effect. Claire Polosak had become the first ever woman umpire to stand in a men’s ODI. Lakshmi, 51, who first officiated as a match referee in domestic women’s cricket in 2008-09, has overseen three women’s ODI matches and three women’s T20 International matches.
1. Where will be the Conference on Dialogue of Asian Civilizations held?
- New Delhi
2. When was ITC established?
3. Who has been conferred the McCain Institute Award 2019?
- Chhaya Sharma
- Gauri Lakshmi
- Divya Sharma
- Riya verma
4. Which is the world’s first exclusive women’s cricket magazine?
- Women Cricket
5. Who is the first woman to become an international panel of match referee?
- Claire Polosak
- G. S. Lakshmi
- Keerthi Verma
- K. Harshitha