Current Affairs Capsule – 15 October 2019
- October 15, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Vajra Prahar 2019, a joint military training exercise between India and the US, will be held from 13th to 28th October, 2019 at the Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) in Seattle, US. It is the tenth edition of the joint training exercise that is conducted alternately in India and the US. The exercise would see a 45-member Special Forces team from the Indian Army’s Southern Command train alongside the US soldiers. The exercise was initiated in 2010.
- India has joined the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) G20 Global Smart Cities Alliance on Technology Governance that will work towards advancing responsible and ethical use of smart city technologies. It is an alliance of fifteen of the world’s leading city networks and technology governance organisations that will create global norms and policy standards for the use of connected devices in public spaces. It was established in June 2019, in conjunction with the G20 Summit held in Osaka, Japan.
- The World Bank released its South Asia Economic Focus, 2019 Report titled “Exports Wanted” highlighting the export potential of the South Asian region that is not being used to the fullest. The projected growth of India in 2019, according to the report, is 6%. The growth rate of India in 2016-17 was 8.2%; in 2017-18, it was 7.2% and in 2018-19, it was 6.8%. South Asia remains the fastest growing region in the world, despite the report’s estimation of growth in South Asia to fall to 5% in 2019. The growth rate of South Asia was 7.7% in 2016, 7.2% in 2017 and 6.9% in 2018.
- The first IN-BN Exercise, a bilateral naval exercise between India and Bangladesh, will be held from 12th to 16th October, 2019 in Visakhapatnam. It is aimed at developing mutual communication and sharing the best practices between the two navies. It will be held after the second edition of the Indian Navy (IN) and Bangladesh Navy (BN) Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT).The first edition of CORPAT was held in 2018.
- President of the Union of Comoros Azali Assoumani conferred the highest civilian honour of Comoros, ‘The Order of the Green Crescent’, on Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu, who is on an official visit to Comoros from 10th to 14th October, 2019. This honour was actually started by a Turkish organization in the year 1920.
- The West Bengal Government is going to set up a Kanyashree University for women in Nadia district and Kanyashree colleges across the state to empower girls. Started in 2013, the Kanyashree Prakalpa aims at improving the status and well-being of the girl child in West Bengal by incentivizing schooling of all teenage girls and delaying their marriages until the age of 18, the legal age of marriage. The state government was awarded by the United Nations Public Service Award for its Kanyashree scheme in 2017.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping along with a 90-member delegation arrived at the Chennai airport on 11th October, 2019 for the two-day Modi-Xi informal summit. The two leaders vowed to work together to face the challenges of radicalization and terrorism in India and China. They agreed to set up a high-level economic and trade dialogue mechanism to go into trade, investment and services.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Vajra Prahar is a joint military training exercise between India and ________
Q2. When was the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) G20 Global Smart Cities Alliance on Technology Governance established?
Q3. According to the South Asia Economic Focus, 2019, what is the projected growth of India in 2019?
Q4. When was the first edition of the Indian Navy (IN) and Bangladesh Navy (BN) Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) held?
Q5. Who has been conferred with the highest civilian honour of Comoros, ‘The Order of the Green Crescent’?
- M Venkaiah Naidu
- Narendra Modi
- Rajnath Singh
- Amit Shah
Q6. Which state implemented the Kanyashree Scheme?
- Andhra Pradesh
- West Bengal