CURRENT AFFAIRS CAPSULE – 16 AUGUST 2019
- August 16, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Jammu and Kashmir Governor Satya Pal Malik will inaugurate the national tribal festival, Aadi Mahotsav at Polo Ground in Leh-Ladakh on 17th August. The theme of the nine-day festival is – “A celebration of the spirit of Tribal Craft, Culture and Commerce”. It is being jointly organised by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India.
- Deputy Secretary of US Department of State, John Sullivan met External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar in New Delhi on 16th August, 2019. During the meeting, they discussed the deep convergences of strategic relationship between the two countries.
- Geographical Indication (GI) tag has been granted to the famous Palani panchamirtham, given as ‘prasadam’ at the Murugan Temple in Palani, Tamil Nadu. With this, the total number of products from Tamil Nadu that have been accorded GI tag becomes 29. In 2004-05, the Darjeeling tea became the first GI tagged product in India.
- A high-performance centre for hockey – Naval Tata Hockey Academy (NTHA) – has been inaugurated by the Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneshwar, Odisha for grooming the best hockey talent in the State. It was opened as a part of the joint initiative of Tata Steel, Tata Trusts and Government of Odisha-Tata Odisha Hockey Programme. The academy is named after Naval H. Tata to commemorate his contribution to hockey in India as well as his achievements as a sports administrator.
- Wrestler Deepak Punia became India’s first junior World Champion with a win over Russia’s Alik Shebzukhov in 86kg category at the Junior World Championships in Talinn, Estonia on August 14th, 2019. The 18-year old had won the silver medal in Slovakia while Vicky Chahar won the bronze in the 92 kg category by beating Mongolia’s Batmagnai Enkhtuvshin.
- Union Ministry of Textiles and 16 states have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for skilling about 4 lakh workers as a part of the Scheme for Capacity Building in Textile Sector (SAMARTH). These states are Arunachal Pradesh, Kerala, Mizoram, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Madhya Pradesh, Tripura, Karnataka, Manipur, Haryana, Meghalaya, Jharkhand and Uttarakhand. SAMARTH was approved by Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) in December 2017.
- Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi appointed Harshad Pandurang Thakur, a professor at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai as the Director of National Institute of Health and Family Welfare (NIHFW) for a term of five years. Established in 1977 by the merger of National Institute of Family Planning (NIFP) and National Institute of Health Administration and Education (NIHAE), NIHFW is headquartered in New Delhi.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. In which state has the Naval Tata Hockey Academy (NTHA) been inaugurated?
- Uttar Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh
Q2. Who has been appointed as the Director of National Institute of Health and Family Welfare (NIHFW)?
- Vikram Benerjee
- Harshad Pandurang Thakur
- Vikas Gupta
- Anil Sharma
Q3. How many states have signed a MoU for skilling workers under SAMARTH?
Q4. Which state has been granted GI tag of Palani panchamirtham?
- Andhra Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
Q5. Who became India’s first junior World Champion in wrestling?
- Vicky Chahar
- Deepak Punia
- Bajrang Punia
- Sushil Kumar