Current Affairs Capsule – 16 November 2019
- November 16, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- National Press Day is observed across India on 16th November every year to mark the presence of an independent and responsible press in India. The day marks the establishment of the Press Council of India on 16th November, 1966. It is the self-regulatory watchdog of the press, for the press and by the press, and operates under the Press Council Act of 1978.
- The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has decided to establish a specialized unit in each battalion to help preserve monuments and other heritage structures in pre and post disaster scenarios. The NDRF is a specialised force constituted in 2006 for the purpose of specialist response to a threatening disaster situation or disaster under the Disaster Management Act, 2005. The NDRF is under the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), whose Chairman is the Prime Minister of India.
- Defence Minister of India Rajnath Singh inaugurated the Sisseri River Bridge, built by the Border Road Organization (BRO) at Lower Dibang Valley in Arunachal Pradesh on 15th November, 2019. The 200-metre long bridge between Jonai-Pasighat-Ranaghat-Roing road will provide better connectivity between Siang and Dibang Valley. It will reduce the travel time from Pasighat to Roing by about five hours. Founded on 7th May, 1960, the BRO develops and maintains road networks in India’s border areas and friendly neighboring countries.
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated the National Tribal Festival “Aadi Mahotsav” under the theme “Celebration of the Spirit of Tribal Culture, Craft, Cuisine and Commerce” on 16th November, 2019 at Dilli Haat, INA, New Delhi. The 15-day event is being organized by the Union Ministry of Tribal Affairs in association with the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Ltd. (TRIFED).
- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro accepted Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s invitation to become the Chief Guest at India’s Republic Day celebrations in 2020. Mr. Modi has reached Brazil to attend the 11th BRICS Summit. South African President Cyril Ramaphosa was the chief guest in 2019. In 2018, the leaders of 10 ASEAN nations attended the event as chief guests. Bolsonaro is the 38th President of Brazil.
- The Assam government launched a mobile app called ‘Sishu Suraksha’ to register complaints of child abuse and violation of child rights online on the occasion of Children’s Day on 14th November, 2019. The Assam State Commission for Protection of Child Rights (ASCPCR) reported that there has been an increase of 55% in the number of child trafficking cases in the state in 2019.
- Nita Ambani , wife of Reliance Chairperson Mukesh Ambani, has been named an honorary trustee of New York’s 149-year-old Metropolitan Museum of Art. She is the first Indian to be elected to the post. Nita Ambani, 57, has been promoting Indian art and culture around the world. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is the largest art museum in the United States. With 6,953,927 visitors to its three locations in 2018, it was the third most visited art museum in the world.
- Secretary of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change represented India at the 7th Regional Conservation Forum organized by the International Union for Conservation of Nature in Islamabad, Pakistan. More than 500 representatives from different countries, corporate sector and NGOs participated in the forum. As per the report of the forum, 36% glaciers in the regions of Himalayas and Hindu Kush are to vanish by 2100. The shrinking glaciers are the biggest challenge to the policy makers.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. On which day is the National Press Day observed?
- November 12
- November 14
- November 15
- November 16
Q2. Who is the Chairman of the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)?
- Prime Minister
- Home Minister
- Defence Minister
Q3. When was the Border Road Organization (BRO) formed?
Q4. Which state launched a mobile app called ‘Sishu Suraksha’ to register complaints of child abuse and violation of child rights online?
- Uttar Pradesh
- Arunachal Pradesh
Q5. Who is the first Indian to be elected as an honorary trustee of New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art?
- Mukesh Amani
- Nita Ambani
- Anil Ambani
- JRD Tata
Q6. Where was the 7th Regional Conservation Forum organized?
- New Delhi