Current Affairs Capsule – 16 October 2019
- October 16, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) released its annual report “The State of the World’s Children Report”. The report stated that despite the 40% drop in the stunting of children in poor countries between 1990 and 2015, 149 million are still too short for their age. A third of the world’s children under the age of 5, which is around 700 million, have nutrition problems. 14.42% of children, under 5 years of age, are obese or overweight. The US tops the UNICEF rankings with 41.86% of children being obese. Japan has the least Infant Mortality Rate.
- The International Day of Rural Women is observed every year on 15th October to recognize the critical role and contribution of rural women, including indigenous women, in enhancing agricultural and rural development, improving food security and eradicating rural poverty. This year, the theme for the day was ‘Rural Women and girls building climate resilience’. The day was established by the United Nations General Assembly in its resolution 62/136 of 18th December, 2007. The first International Day of Rural Women was observed on 15th October, 2008.
- Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan released the National Blindness and Visual Impairment Survey, conducted by AIIMS, Delhi and the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare between 2015 and 2019, at the 13th Conference of Central Council of Health and Family Welfare on 10th October, 2019. The prevalence of blindness in India is 1.99%. Bijnor district of Uttar Pradesh has the highest population suffering from blindness i.e. around 3.67% of the population is blind and 21.82% suffer visual impairment. India is the first country to launch the National Program for Control of Blindness in 1976.
- Priyadarshan, noted director and producer of Malayalam and Hindi films, was conferred the National Kishore Kumar Samman for 2018-19 on 13th October, 2019, the death anniversary of the playback singer and all-rounder, Kishore Kumar. Instituted by the Madhya Pradesh Department of Culture in 1997, it is awarded for excellence in cinematic achievements. The first recipient of the award was Hrishikesh Mukherjee (1997–98).
- Dharma Guardian 2019, a joint military exercise between India and Japan, will be held from 19th October to 2nd November, 2019 at the Counter-Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School in Vairengte, Mizoram. It aims to increase interoperability between the forces of the two nations and enhance coordination in dealing with various security challenges including counter-terrorism. It is the 2nd edition of the annual training event, which is being conducted in India since 2018.
- The Union Ministry of Science and Technology organised the 25th Technology Summit on 15th and 16th October, 2019 in New Delhi. This year, Netherlands has been invited to participate in the bilateral platform that provides opportunities to the industries, government agencies and institutes from India and participating country to interact with each other. The theme for this year is ‘Young entrepreneurship’. Italy had participated in the Technology Summit 2018.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired a meeting on ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’ programme under which the government plans to hold people-to-people exchange between states to enhance knowledge about each other’s culture. It is a personal initiative of PM Modi that highlights India’s diversity and furthers national unity. The goal of this unique mission is to develop a holistic national perspective on important issues as well as encourage celebration of India’s vibrant regional cultures.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Which country has the least Infant Mortality Rate as per the UNICEF report?
- The US
Q2. On which day is the International Day of Rural Women celebrated?
- October 13
- October 14
- October 16
Q3. What is the prevalence of blindness in India?
Q4. When was the National Kishore Kumar Samman instituted?
Q5. Dharma Guardian is a joint military exercise between India and _____
- Sri Lanka
Q6. Which country has participated in the bilateral Technology Summit 2018?