Current Affairs Capsule – 16 September 2019
- September 16, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Maritime Communication Services that offer broadband services to support those travelling by sea and a web portal for reporting stolen mobiles to help trace them was launched in Mumbai, Maharashtra. This portal is under a project called Central Equipment Identity Register (CEIR) system. Nelco Ltd., which is India’s leading VSAT (Very Small Aperture Terminal) solutions provider, will provide quality broadband services to the maritime sector.
- Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar inaugurated the renovated Jayakar Bungalow, a classic heritage site situated inside the premises of the National Film Archives of India (NFAI) in Pune, Maharashtra. A special booklet ‘Parampara: An ode to Jayakar Bungalow’ was also released. Built in 1945, it has a distinct Tudor style of architecture and is classified as a Grade I heritage structure.
- India’s National Survey and Mapping Organization, Survey of India (SoI) will deploy 300 drones for the first time to provide good high-resolution foundation maps and to map 75% of India’s geography within next two years. Under the Department of Science and Technology (DST), SOI is in charge of mapping and surveying the entire country. Established in 1767, SOI is one of the oldest engineering departments of the Government of India.
- Pankaj Advani won his 22nd World Billiards Title at the International Billiards & Snooker Federation (IBSF) World Billiards Championship 2019. This is Advani’s fourth consecutive world title in billiards short format (150-up). Pankaj Advani has won world titles in cue sports more than anyone in the world, making him the greatest cueist of all time. Founded in 1971, IBSF is the organisation that governs non-professional snooker and English billiards around the world.
- India’s Lieutenant General (Retired) Abhijit Guha has been appointed as the head of the UN Mission in Hodeidah, Yemen by the Secretary-General of United Nations (UN) Antonio Guterres. He will succeed Danish Lieutenant General Michael Lollesgaard who served this post from 31st January to 31st July, 2019. Guha has 39 years of national and international military experience.
- Union Minister of Information & Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar announced that 118 new Community Radio Stations (CRS) will be set-up across the country and will become operational within a period of the next six months. Community radios are small FM radio stations with a coverage area of about 10-15 km radius, depending on the geography of area.
- In order to commemorate the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev, an anthology of his writings will be translated and published in various world languages by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). Baba Guru Nanak Dev is the founder of Sikhism. National Book Trust (NBT) will also publish Gurbani, various compositions by Sikh Gurus and other writers of Guru Granth Sahib, in different Indian languages.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Where is the historical architecture Jayakar Bungalow located?
Q2. When was the Survey of India (SoI) established?
Q3. When was the International Billiards & Snooker Federation (IBSF) founded?
Q4. Who has been appointed as the head of the UN Mission in Hodeidah, Yemen?
- Pramod Sinha
- Vinod Kumar
- Abhijit Guha
- Arvind Verma
Q5. How many new Community Radio Stations (CRS) will be set-up across the country?