Current Affairs Capsule – 17 November 2019
- November 17, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Pakistan has become the first country in the world to introduce the typhoid vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO). A two-week campaign targeting over 10 million children in the age group of 9 months to 15 years will be launched in the Southern Sindh province with the support of Geneva-based Gavi Vaccine Alliance. Sindh is where 10,000 cases of typhoid have been documented since 2017.
- The Home Ministry, in collaboration with the UN Women, flagged off a metro as part of the awareness campaign to end violence against women from Sultanpur metro station in Delhi. The initiative is part of the #OrangeTheWorld global campaign. Through this campaign, people would be made aware about India’s single emergency helpline 112, an internationally recognized emergency number used in several countries. UN Women, a global champion for women and girls, was established in July 2010 and became operational in January 2011.
- Two tea varieties of Darjeeling – Green Tea and White Tea – were registered under thr Geographical Indication of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999 on 16th November, 2019. Darjeeling tea became the first Indian product to receive a GI tag in 2004–05.
- The National Initiative for School Heads’ and Teachers’ Holistic Advancement (NISHTHA), which aims to improve learning outcomes at Elementary level through integrated Teacher Trainings, was launched in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir by the Commissioner Secretary of the School Education Department Sarita Chauhan. Earlier, the Union Human Resource Development Ministry launched NISHTHA across the country in August 2019.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Brazil to attend the 11th BRICS Summit and held the bilateral meetings with Russian President Vladimir Putin, Chinese President Xi Jinping and Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro in the capital Brasilia. Brazil has decided to grant visa-free travel to Indian citizens. Chinese President invited Mr. Modi for the 3rd informal summit in China in 2020. India and Russia decided to organise the 1st Bilateral Regional Forum at the level of Russian Provinces and the Indian States in 2020.
- Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated a two-day Regional Conference on ‘Replication of Good Governance Practices in the UTs of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh’ in Jammu on 15th November, 2019. The conference unanimously adopted the Sushasan Sankalp (सुशासन संकल्प: जम्मू घोषणा) after intensive deliberations held over two days.
- The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA), under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, organized the first international buyer-seller meet on agriculture and horticulture produce in Arunachal Pradesh on 14th November, 2019. Ten international buyers from seven countries participated in the meet and interacted with exporters. The event aims to promote export of agricultural products and to facilitate market linkages for agri-exports from the North Eastern Region (NER), especially Arunachal Pradesh.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Which is the first country in the world to introduce the typhoid vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO)?
- Sri Lanka
Q2. Which is India’s single emergency helpline?
Q3. Which was the first Indian product to receive a GI tag?
- Salem silk
- Darjeeling tea
- Solapur Chaddar
- Madurai Sungudi
Q4. India and ______decided to organise the 1st Bilateral Regional Forum at the level of Provinces and States in 2020.
Q5. Where was the first international buyer-seller meet on agriculture and horticulture produce held?
- Andhra Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh
- Arunachal Pradesh