CURRENT AFFAIRS CAPSULE – 18 AUGUST 2019
- August 18, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Pretomanid, developed by New York-based non-profit organisation TB Alliance, has been approved by the United States (US) Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treating drug-resistant strain of Tuberculosis (TB). It is used alongside two other antibiotics – bedaquiline and linezolid – to treat an extremely drug-resistant strain of tuberculosis. This three-drug regimen is collectively known as BPaL regimen.
- The 54th Edition of Know India (KIP) Programme, scheduled from 1st August to 25th August, 2019, was attended by 40 Indian Origin youth from different countries. The partner states for this edition are Punjab and Haryana. Launched on 8th January, 2004, KIP is a government initiative by the Ministry of External Affairs for the Indian diaspora (excluding NRIs) between the age group of 18 to 30 years.
- Union Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ inaugurated an international conference on teacher education in New Delhi on 17th August, 2019. The two-day event is being organized by the National Council of Teacher Education as part of the silver jubilee celebration of its establishment in 1995.
- President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the Presidential Guest House named Jal Kiran at Raj Bhavan in Mumbai on 17th August, 2019.The Guest House will serve as the accommodation for the President and the Prime Minister during their visits to Mumbai. The President also unveiled a plaque in front of the refurbished and restored British-era twin cannons at Raj Bhavan.
- Supreme Court bench comprising Justices Rohinton Fali Nariman and Surya Kant has cleared the Chardham highway project, which will connect four holy places of Uttarakhand through 900-km all-weather roads. The apex court also asked the Union Environment and Forest Ministry to form the high-powered committee by 22nd August to look into environmental concerns.
- Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar has announced that a massive campaign will be launched to make India free of single-use plastic at Sau Paulo in Brazil. He said that a series of meetings will be held with all stakeholders, including state governments to chalk out a concrete plan to make it a people’s campaign to realise the ultimate target.
- India defeated Chinese Taipei (2-1) to win the gold at the Under 12 Asian Tennis Team championship held in Kazakhstan. The final was a tie of three matches – two singles and one doubles and India won both the singles matches while losing the doubles’ encounter.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Which disease is treated using the drug Pretomanid?
Q2. When was the Know India (KIP) Programme launched?
Q3. When was the National Council of Teacher Education established?
Q4. Where is the Presidential Guest House named Jal Kiran inaugurated?
- New Delhi