Current Affairs Capsule – 19 November 2019
- November 19, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh represented India at the 6th ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting-Plus (ADMM-Plus) held in Bangkok, Thailand on 18th November, 2019. The ADMM-Plus is a key ministerial-level platform in regional security architecture for promoting strategic dialogue and practical cooperation between ASEAN and its eight partner countries viz. India, China, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, Russia and USA. Rajnath Sigh released ‘Handbook on Military Medicine for ASEAN’ along with Defence Minister of Myanmar Lieutenant General Sein Win.
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) on 15th November, 2019 signed a declaration of intent with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAD) of National Institutes of Health, USA and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) to take forward an ongoing collaborative research and training programme between the two countries. The initial focus of this fellowship programme is intended to engage scientists in infectious disease and immunology research, with an emphasis on diseases that affect women and children. During the event, which also marked the celebration of the 108th Foundation Day of the ICMR, Gates presented the ICMR Lifetime Achievement Award for Outstanding Achievement in Healthcare to three members – Dr Cyrus S Poonawalla, Dr Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw and Dr Prakash Baba Amte.
- Government of India, in order to curb fake news, has decided to form a FACT Check module that will work on four principles — find, assess, create and target — which will be handled by the Indian information service officers. The officers are expected to trace online news sources and publicly available social media posts round-the-clock for any potential fake news.
- The Strike Corps, also known as the Sudarshan Chakra Corps, of the Indian Army conducted ‘Sindhu Sudarshan’ exercise in Barmer, Rajasthan on 16th November, 2019. The aim of the exercise was to evaluate the capability and battle readiness of the defence forces in an integrated air-land battle in a semi-developed terrain of the desert. Approximately 40,000 troops, 700 ‘A’ Vehicles and 300 Guns of the Sudarshan Chakra Corps of Southern Command participated in the exercise.
- Union Minister of State for AYUSH Shripad Yesso Naik inaugurated a two-day international conference on Yoga on 15th November, 2019 in Mysuru, Karnataka under the theme ‘Yoga For Heart Care’. This year’s conference is the fifth in the series to commemorate unanimous adoption of resolution by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in 2014 for observing 21st June as the International Day of Yoga.
- Former Defense Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa was sworn in as Sri Lanka’s President. He will succeed President Maithripala Sirisena for a five-year term. He is the brother Mahinda Rajapaksa, who was the country’s president from 2005 to 2015.
- India and South Korea jointly celebrated the 4th edition of the India International Cherry Blossom festival, 2019 in Shillong, Meghalaya from 13th November to 16th November, 2019. This is the first time that the Republic of Korea was the partner country in the festival. The festival was celebrated to attract tourists to the hill state in autumn to witness the unique autumn flowering of the Himalayan Cherry Blossoms. Started in 2016, the festival is celebrated every year in Shillong.
- The Union Ministry for Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) inaugurated the 6th National Summit on Good, Replicable Practices and Innovations on 16th November, 2019 in Gujarat. He also launched the SAANS: ‘Social Awareness and Action to Neutralise Pneumonia Successfully’ campaign to reduce child mortality due to pneumonia, which contributes to around 15 per cent of deaths annually of children under the age of five.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Where was the 6th ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting-Plus (ADMM-Plus) held?
- New Delhi
Q2. Which among the following will be formed in order to curb fake news in India?
- Fake News Check Module
- FACT Check module
- Check Fake module
- News check module
Q3. Who conducted the exercise ‘Sindhu Sudarshan’?
- Indian Navy
- Indian Army
- Air Force
- None of the above
Q4. Who was the partner country for the India International Cherry Blossom festival, 2019?
- South Korea
Q5. When was the first India International Cherry Blossom festival held?
Q6. Where was the 6th National Summit on Good, Replicable Practices and Innovations held?
- Madhya Pradesh