Current Affairs Capsule – 19 September 2019
- September 19, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Centre appointed four new judges to the Supreme Court on 18th September, 2019, so that its strength becomes 34 (excluding the Chief Justice of India), the highest ever till now. The four judges are Haryana High Court Chief Justice Krishna Murari, Himachal Pradesh High Court Chief Justice V. Ramasubramanian, Rajasthan High Court Chief Justice S Ravindra Bhat and Kerala High Court Chief Justice Hrishikesh Roy.
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) signed a Memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to provide technologies for the development of human centric systems for the Human Space Mission. As per the MoU, technological capabilities existing in the DRDO labs for various defence applications will be customised to meet the requirements of ISRO’s human space mission.
- Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has become the first Defence Minister to fly the indigenously-built fighter aircraft Tejas on 19th September, 2019. He flew the combat jet from the HAL airport in Bengaluru. It has been designed and developed by the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and was built by the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL).
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced a ban on production, sale, manufacturing, and advertising of e-cigarettes. The first-time violators will have to face an imprisonment of up to one year and a Rs. 1 lakh fine whereas repeat offenders may get up to three years of imprisonment and a fine of Rs. 5 lakhs.
- Microfinance Institutions Network (MFIN), Sa-Dhan and Finance Industry Development Council (FIDC) have jointly launched the ‘Code for Responsible Lending’ (CRL) for the micro credit industry at Sa-Dhan’s 15th Annual National Conference held in New Delhi. Sa-Dhan is a Reserve Bank of India (RBI) recognised self-regulatory organisation and industry association for the microfinance industry. Sa-Dhan was founded in 1998.
- Center-2019 International Command Exercise is being held by Russia and six other countries from 16th to 21st September, 2019. It is an annual strategic and operational military exercise which is not aimed at any third-party country rather than focus on counterterrorist operations. It is purely defensive in nature.
- Sri Lanka unveiled the tallest tower in South Asia in Colombo city. The 350-metre tall tower is in the shape of lotus. The 80% of this lotus tower’s cost has been funded by China under the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). It comprises a hotel, a TV tower, restaurants, a mall, a telecommunications museum and an auditorium.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. ISRO signed a MoU with __________ to provide technologies for the development of human centric systems for the Human Space Mission.
- Home Ministry
- Ministry of Earth Sciences
- Finance Ministry
Q2. What is the current strength of judges (excluding CJI) in the Supreme Court of India?
Q3. Who is the first Defence Minister of India to fly the indigenously-built fighter aircraft Tejas?
- Nirmala Seetharaman
- Rajnath Singh
- Pranab Mukherjee
- Arun Jaitley
Q4. When was Sa-Dhan founded?
Q5. Center-2019 International Command Exercise is hosted by _________
Q6. Where is the tallest tower in South Asia i.e. the Lotus Tower located?
- Sri Lanka