Current Affairs Capsule – 20 November 2019
- November 20, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India on 18th November, 2019 signed a $91 million loan to modernize the Vijayanagara Channel irrigation systems and prepare river basin management plans in the Krishna river basin that will help improve the efficiency in which irrigation water is used and contribute to improving sustainable water security in Karnataka. The Asian Development Bank (ADB), with 68 member countries, is a regional development bank established on 19th December, 1966.
- THE Assam Olympic Association (AOA) on 18th November, 2019 launched the ‘Grassroots Olympic – Mission Talent Hunt’ to identify and groom sports talent in the state. The AOA also constituted various sub-committees and commissions for the upcoming Khelo India Youth Games, which is scheduled to be held in Assam during January 10th to January 22nd, 2020.
- The Institute of Urban Transport (India) organised the 12th edition of the Urban Mobility India (UMI) Conference and Exhibition 2019 under the theme “Accessible and Liveable Cities” from 15th November to 17th November, 2019 in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. It aims to disseminate information to the cities and to help them keep up-to-date with the best urban transport practices. At the event, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) won two awards for its commendable initiatives in promoting the metro as a green and sustainable mode of transport among the masses.
- The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare on 18th November, 2019 signed a memorandum of cooperation (MoC) with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) under which the Gates Foundation will provide technical, management and program design support through its grantees and other partners, with a special focus on innovation, best practices and enhancing performance management, while working closely with the government.
- Government of India, with effect from 16th November 2019, has decided to extend the Visa-on-Arrival facility to the nationals of the United Arab Emirates to further strengthen people-to-people and trade links as well as strategic ties between the two countries. The facility will be available to the UAE nationals for a period of up to 60 days with double entry for business, tourism, conference and medical purposes.
- The Institute of International Education (IIE) has released its “2019 Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange” on 18th November, 2019. As per the report, the largest source of foreign students to the US is China while India is the second largest source with around 202,000 students being sent to the US in the academic year 2018-19. India remained the largest source for the 10th consecutive year. The Open Doors is a comprehensive information resource on international students and scholars in the United States published annually by the IIE since 1919.
- Union Minister for Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Narendra Singh Tomar will inaugurate the 8th International Conference on Agricultural Statistics (ICAS-VIII), organized by the Ministry of Agriculture in New Delhi from 18th November to 21st November 2019. Bill Gates will be the chief guest for the conference being organised under the theme ‘Statistics for Transformation of Agriculture to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)’. The conference is being organised in India for the first time. The last conference was held in Rome, Italy in 2016.
- Justice Dr Ravi Ranjan was sworn in as the 13th Chief Justice of the Jharkhand High Court by the Governor of Jharkhand Draupadi Murmu. He will succeed Justice Anirudh Bose, who was appointed as a judge of the Supreme Court in May 2019. Ranjan was serving as a judge in the Punjab and Haryana High Court prior to this appointment. He was appointed as a permanent judge of the Patna High Court on 16th January, 2010. He has also served as the Acting Chief Justice of the Patna High Court in 2018.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the Asian Development Bank (ADB) established?
Q2. Which state launched the ‘Grassroots Olympic – Mission Talent Hunt’?
Q3. Where was the 12th edition of Urban Mobility India (UMI) Conference and Exhibition 2019 held?
Q4. Which is the largest source of foreign students to the US?
- South Korea
Q5. Where was the 8th International Conference on Agricultural Statistics (ICAS-VIII) held?
- New Delhi
Q6. Who has been appointed as the 13th Chief Justice of the Jharkhand High Court?
- Justice Anirudh Bose
- Justice Ravi Kumar
- Justice Dr Ravi Ranjan
- Justice Prakash Verma