Current Affairs Capsule – 20 October 2019
- October 20, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Anup Kumar Singh, a 1985-batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of Gujarat cadre, has been appointed as the new Director General of the National Security Guard (NSG), also known as the ‘black cats commando’ force, by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC). He will succeed Sudeep Lakhtakia, a 1984-batch IPS officer of Telangana cadre. Raised in 1984 following Operation Blue Star, the NSG is a counter-terrorism unit under the Union Ministry of Home Affairs.
- The Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) signed 30 licensing agreement for the Transfer of Technology (ToT) with 16 Indian companies to fulfill the requirements of the armed forces at the Vibrant Goa Expo and Summit 2019.
- Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Tourism and Culture Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurated the Shirui Lily Festival 2019, hosted by Manipur from 16th to 19th October, 2019. Organised by the State Department of Tourism in Ukhrul district, the festival seeks to spread the awareness about the endangered Shirui Lily and promote the district of Ukhrul as a tourist destination in Manipur. The Shirui Lily has also been awarded at the Royal Horticultural Society’s Flower Show in London in 1948.
- Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Atomic Energy and Space, Jitendra Singh inaugurated the 11th Nuclear Energy Conclave in New Delhi organised by the India Energy Forum. The theme for the event was “Economics of Nuclear Power-Innovation towards safer and cost-effective technologies”.
- The Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC) has conducted the 2nd edition of the Defense of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Exercise 2019 (DANX-19), a large scale joint services exercise from 14th to 18th October, 2019. The Special Forces from the newly formed Armed Forces Special Operations Division (AFSOD) also participated in this edition. The first edition was conducted in November, 2017. Created in 2001, the ANC is the first and only tri-service command of the Indian Armed Forces based in Port Blair, Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- The Union Health and Family Welfare Ministry launched the “Food Safety Mitra” Scheme, to scale up the Eat Right India movement, on 16th October, 2019 to mark World Food Day. The scheme will support small and medium scale food business. The Food Safety Mitra will undergo training and be certified by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
- The Golden Shoe for the 2018-19 season has been awarded to the Football Club Barcelona (FC Barcelona) captain Lionel Messi for being the top scorer in the European leagues with 36 goals (in 34 games). This is his sixth Golden Shoe and he has won the trophy for the 3rd consecutive year. Originally called Soulier d’Or, the European Golden Shoe was created in the 1967–68 season.
- The Union Ministry of Tribal Affairs launched the Van Dhan Internship Programme on 17th October, 2019 that will train the interns who will help the tribal population in becoming self reliant and entrepreneurs. The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) under the ministry will organise the program. The TRIFED was established in 1987 to provide good price for the goods and products made or collected by the tribal people.
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) honored 46 biomedical scientists who have done pioneering work in the area of health research to solve various health issues. A total 39 awards for 2017 and 2018 were presented to 46 scientists, including 14 women scientists.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who has been appointed as the new Director General of the National Security Guard (NSG)?
- Sudeep Lakhtakia
- Manish Kumar
- Anup Kumar Singh
- Ajay Mishra
Q2. Which state organised the Shirui Lily Festival?
Q3. When was the first Defense of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Exercise held?
Q4. Who won the Golden Shoe for 2018-19 season?
- Kylian Mbappe
- Lionel Messi
- Cristiano Ronaldo
Q5. When was the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) established?