CURRENT AFFAIRS CAPSULE – 21 AUGUST 2019
- August 21, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- All Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) personnel will now retire at a uniform age of 60 years instead of 57 years for certain rank of officials, as per a recent order issued by the Union Home Ministry. According to the existing policy, all personnel in the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) and Assam Rifles (AR) retire at an age of 60. However, in the CRPF, Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), Sahastra Seema Bal (SSB) and Border Security Force (BSF) personnel from ranks of constable to commandant retire at an age of 57, while those above them, superannuate at an age of 60. Five forces namely, CISF, CRPF, BSF, ITBP and SSB are classified as the CAPF.
- President of Zambia Edgar Chagwa Lungu arrived in New Delhi on 20th August on a three-day visit to India. Mr Lungu will meet President Ram Nath Kovind and will hold delegation-level talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The bilateral talks are expected to review the entire gamut of bilateral relations and expected to cover issues of bilateral, regional and international interest.
- Draft National Resource Efficiency Policy, 2019, which envisions future with environmentally sustainable and equitable economic growth, resource security, healthy environment, and restored ecosystems with rich ecology and biodiversity has been released by the Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC). India is one of fastest growing economies with a GDP at US $2.6 trillion.
- Indian Railways’ 2nd Utkrisht Double Decker Air Conditioned Yatri (UDAY) Express will run between Visakhapatnam and Vijayawada to cater to a busy route in East Coast Railway zone (ECoR). In June 2018, the first double-decker UDAY Express started service between Coimbatore and Bangalore. The 2nd Uday Express consists of 9 double-decker coaches and 2 power cars. It is equipped with WiFi facility, have striking interiors, cushioned seating and display screens.
- Karnataka amended the Poisons (Possessions and Sale) Rules, 2015 to make nicotine a Class A drug. It aims to strengthen the enforcement of the ban on the production and sale of electronic cigarettes. Nicotine is a plant alkaloid that contains nitrogen, which is found in several types of plants, including the tobacco plant and can also be produced synthetically.
- Training on Anti Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism has been started for 20 officers from various government agencies of Nepal at National Academy of Customs, Indirect Taxes and Narcotics (NACIN), Faridabad. The six-day customized training course is fully supported by the Government of India under the Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation (ITEC) Programme.
- Prasar Bharti Chairman A Suryapakash has announced that Prasar Bharati will soon introduce two awards – the Neelum Sharma Tejaswini award and the Achyutananda Sahoo Award. The award is named after Senior DD News anchor Neelum Sharma who passed away on 17th August. She had an illustrious career of 2 decades in which she launched and presented a number of path breaking shows, a few among them being Badi Charcha and Tejaswini.
- President Ram Nath Kovind planted a sapling of Maulsari in the Rashtrapati Bhavan Estate and launched a plantation drive as part of Van Mahotsav celebrations on 20th August, 2019. Over the next few weeks, the President’s Secretariat will be planting over three thousand trees and around three thousand shrubs. The President’s Estate, spread over 330 acres, harbours rich biodiversity.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Indian Railways’ 2nd Utkrisht Double Decker Air Conditioned Yatri (UDAY) Express will run between ________and _______
- Visakhapatnam and Vijayawada
- Coimbatore and Bangalore
- Tirupati and Chennai
- Bangalore and Hyderabad
Q2. When was the first Uday Express launched?
Q3. Which state amended the Poisons (Possessions and Sale) Rules, 2015 to make nicotine a Class A drug?
- Uttar Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
Q4. Which country’s officers are being trained in Anti Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism by India?
Q5. Who announced the Neelum Sharma Tejaswini award and the Achyutananda Sahoo Awards?
- Ministry of External Affairs
- Prasar Bharti
- Election Commission
- Cultural Ministry
Q6. Who launched the plantation drive as part of the Van Mahotsav celebrations?
- Narendra Modi
- Prakash Javadekar
- Ram Nath Kovind
- Rajnath Singh