Current Affairs Capsule – 21 October 2019
- October 21, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The 91st Interpol General Assembly will be hosted by India in 2022 as a part of the celebrations of the 75th anniversary of Indian Independence. It was announced at the 2019’s congregation held at Santiago in Chile on 19th October, 2019. Earlier, India had hosted the Interpol General Assembly in 1997. Interpol is acronym for the International Criminal Police Organization. Headquartered in Lyon, France, it was founded in 1923 as the International Criminal Police Commission (ICPC).
- Ekuverin-2019, a joint military exercise between the Indian Army and the Maldives National Defence Force was held from 7th to 20th October 2019 in Pune, Maharashtra. Being conducted since 2009, the 14-day joint military exercise is held alternatively in India and Maldives. It aims to enhance inter-operability between the forces of the two countries for carrying out counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations in a semi-urban environment under the United Nations’ (UN) mandate.
- President Ram Nath Kovind addressed the 4th India-ASEAN Business summit and the India-Philippines Business Conclave that was organized on 19th October, 2019 in Manila, Philippines. . The ASEAN-India trade increased by 19% in 2018 reaching 96.79 billion USD. India targets to increase the trade to 200 billion USD by 2022.
- India-Myanmar Naval Exercise (IMNEX) 2019, the 2nd edition of the Indo-Myanmar joint naval exercise, is being organised from 19th to 22nd October onboard INS Ranvijay in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. This year’s edition includes increased scope and complexity and is a testimony of the growing maritime cooperation between the two navies. The exercise would be conducted in two phases – Harbour phase and Sea Phase. The first edition of the exercise was held in 2018.
- NITI Aayog with the Institute for Competitiveness as the knowledge partner released the India Innovation Index (III) 2019. Karnataka emerged as the most innovative state among the major states. Maharashtra was the best performer in the dimension of Enablers. Sikkim and Delhi take the top spots among the north-eastern & hill states, and union territories/city states/small states respectively. The India Innovation Index 2019 is prepared on the basis of two dimensions – Performance and Enablers.
- The Chairman of HBIS Group Co., YU Yong has been elected as the Chairman of the World Steel Association while the Chairman and Managing Director of JSW Steel, Sajjan Jindal has been appointed as the Vice Chairman of the World Steel Association for a period of one year. In addition to this, the board also elected a 14-member Executive Committee. Established on 10 July, 1967 and headquartered in Brussels, Belgium, the World Steel Association is an international trade body for iron and steel industry.
- The first Buddhist Circuit train of the Indian Railways will run from 20th to 26th October, 2019 covering destinations such as Lumbini (where Buddha was born), Bodhgaya (where Buddha gained enlightenment), Sarnath (where Buddha gave his first sermon) and Kushinagar (where Buddha attained nirvana).
- EX-EASTERN BRIDGE-V, a bilateral exercise between the Indian Air Force (IAF) and Royal Air Force of Oman (RAFO), will be held from 17th to 26th October, 2019 at the Masirah Air Force Base in Oman. The exercise will enhance inter-operability during mutual cooperation between the two Air Forces. The first edition was held in October 2009 in Oman. The last edition of this exercise was held in 2017 at Jamnagar, Gujarat. Naseem Al-Bahr is the naval exercise while AL Nagah is the joint military exercise between the two countries.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the International Criminal Police Organization founded?
Q2. Ekuverin is a joint military exercise between India and ________
Q3. When was the first edition of the India-Myanmar Naval Exercise (IMNEX) held?
Q4. Which is the most innovative state among the major states as per the Innovation Index (III) 2019?
- Andhra Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
Q5. Who has been elected as the Chairman of the World Steel Association?
- Sajjan Jindal
- YU Yong
- Sanjeev Mehra
- Karan Verma
Q6. EX-EASTERN BRIDGE is a bilateral air force exercise between India and ________
- Saudi Arabia