CURRENT AFFAIRS CAPSULE – 22 AUGUST 2019
- August 22, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Union Minister of State for Tourism & Culture (Independent Charge) Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurated a one-day National Conference of Tourism Ministers organized by the Union Ministry of Tourism in New Delhi. The Tourism Minister handed over three new Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) and 5 new Letters of Intent (LoIs) to prospective Monument Mitras at the conference.
- Sadbhavana Diwas or Communal Harmony Day is celebrated every year on 20th August to encourage national integration, peace, affection and communal harmony among Indian people of all religions. The day commemorates the birth anniversary of late Rajiv Gandhi, former Prime Minister of India. 20th August, 2019 marks 75th birth anniversary of Rajiv Gandhi. Rajiv Gandhi became the youngest ever prime minister of India at the age of 40.
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) Chairman Dr G Satheesh Reddy handed over the design of Mobile Metallic Ramp (MMR) to the Vice Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen Devraj Anbu at an event held at the DRDO Bhawan in New Delhi. The MMR has been designed and developed by DRDO’s premier research laboratory Centre for Fire, Explosive and Environment Safety (CFEES). It has a load bearing capacity of 70 metric tons (MT). Founded in 1958, DRDO is headquartered in New Delhi.
- A flexible e-tourist visa regime for more than 160 countries based on tourist footfall will be introduced by India. As per this, the e-tourist visa fee would be higher for peak season of July to March and considerably lower during lean period of April to June. The objective behind the move is to encourage foreign tourists to visit India. There will be no visa fee for tourists belonging to the Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC).
- Kerala government has approved a proposal to frame a new law for the appointment of women as drivers in the State Public Sector Undertakings and various departments of the Kerala Government. According to the Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan, the new law will ensure gender equality in driver posts, based on the new policy of the Government. With this, Kerala became the first state in India to allow women to drive government vehicles.
- Former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Babulal Gaur passed away on 21st August, at the age of 89. He was the CM of Madhya Pradesh from August 2004 to November 2005. He was a senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader in the state and he was credited with expanding BJP’s footholds in Madhya Pradesh.
- India and Zambia signed six Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) in several areas including geology, defence, arts and culture during Zambian President Edgar Chagwa Lungu’s state visit to India. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Zambian President Edgar Chagwa Lungu held delegation-level talks and reviewed the bilateral relations between the two nations.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. On which day is Sadbhavana Diwas observed in India annually?
- Aug 15
- Aug 20
- Aug 21
- Aug 22
Q2. When was the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) founded?
Q3. Who is the chairman of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)?
- Lt Gen Devraj Anbu
- Dr L Karan Singh
- Dr G Satheesh Reddy
- Pradeep Sharma
Q4. Which is the first state in India to allow women to drive government vehicles?
- Madhya Pradesh
Q5. India and __________signed six Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) in several areas including geology, defence, arts and culture