Current Affairs Capsule – 22 October 2019
- October 22, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare attended the G20 Okayama Health Ministers’ Meeting on 19th & 20th October, 2019 that was held under the Presidency of Japan in Okayama City, Japan. It focused on four major global health issues: (i) Achievement of Universal Health Coverage, (ii) Response to population aging, (iii) Management of health risks and (iv) Health security management including Anti-Microbial Resistance (AMR) and its containment. The G20 Health Ministers meeting concluded by adopting the “Okayama Declaration of the G 20 Health Ministers”, which has 52 articles. The first G20 Health Ministers’ Meeting was held from 5th to 6th November 2017, under the German presidency.
- Bali Jatra, one of the biggest trade fairs of Odisha, scheduled to begin on 12th November, 2019 in Cuttack will be jointly organized by the Cuttack District Administration, Cuttack Municipal Corporation (CMC) and District Cultural Council. Also known as Boita Bandaṇa, the annual festival is celebrated from the day of Kartika Purnima, for 18 days. It is celebrated to mark the day when ancient Sadhabas (Odia mariners) used to set sail to distant lands of Bali, Java, Sumatra as well as Sri Lanka for trade and cultural expansion.
- Shri K Parasaran, former Attorney General of India, was awarded the “Most Eminent Senior Citizen Award” by Vice President Venkaiah Naidu on the occasion of Elder’s Day celebration organized by Age Care India. Parasaran was the Advocate General of Tamil Nadu in 1976 and the Attorney General of India under former Prime Ministers Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi. He is a recient of Padma Bhushan in 2003 and Padma Vibhushan in 2011. The 15th and current attorney general of India is K.K.Venugopal.
- A book titled ‘Bridgital Nation: Solving Technology’s People Problem’ authored by N Chandrasekaran (Chairman, Tata Sons) and Roopa Purushothaman was unveiled by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi on 20th October, 2019. The first copy was presented to eminent industrialist and philanthropist Ratan Tata. The book presents a powerful vision of the future where technology and human beings co-exist in a mutually beneficial ecosystem.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping inaugurated the Military World Games 2019, also known as the Olympic Games for Military that are being held from 18th to 27th October, 2019 in Wuhan, China. Officially known as the 7th CISM Military World Games, it is the top multi-sport event for military personnel from across the globe. The first Military World Games were held in 1995 in Rome.
- NASA astronauts Jessica Meir and Christina Koch carried out the first-ever all women spacewalk when they ventured outside the International Space Station (ISS) for seven hours. Russian Svetlana Savitskaya was the first woman to spacewalk when she went outside the USSR’s Salyut 7 space station for 3 hours, 35 minutes. The first person to spacewalk was Soviet cosmonaut Alexei Leonov.
- India and Philippines signed four agreements on science and technology, culture, tourism and maritime during President Ram Nath Kovind’s official tour to Philippines. The agreement includes sharing of white shipping data, which includes advance information about identification and movement of commercial and non-military vessels.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has approved the proposal for admission of girl children in Sainik schools across the country from the next academic session (2021-22) in a phased manner. The decision has been taken following the success of the pilot project that was started in Sainik School Chhingchhip in Mizoram two years ago. Sainik schools were conceived by V. K. Krishna Menon, the then Defence Minister, in 1961.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the first G20 Health Ministers’ Meeting held?
Q2. Bali Jatra is one of the biggest trade fairs of _______
- Andhra Pradesh
Q3. Who is the current Attorney General of India?
- K Parasaran
- SK Kumar
- GH Verma
Q4. When were the first Military World Games held?
Q5. Who was the first woman to spacewalk?
- Jessica Meir
- Christina Koch
- Svetlana Savitskaya
- Alexei Leonov
Q6. With which country did India sign an agreement for sharing of white shipping data?
- Sri Lanka