Current Affairs Capsule – 23 October 2019
- October 23, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Union Ministry of AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, Sowa Rigpa and Homoeopathy) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Ministry of Defence for the integration of AYUSH under the health establishments of the Directorate General of Armed Forces Medical Services (DGAFMS). It aims to provide traditional medicine services at the armed forces’ hospitals and dispensaries. The agreement was signed after Union Minister of AYUSH Shripad Yesso Naik inaugurated the Ayurveda Palliative Care Unit at the Palliative Care Centre at the Base Hospital, Delhi Cantonment in New Delhi.
- The National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), under the Union Home Ministry, released the Crime Bureau Statistics for the year 2017 on 21st October, 2019. As per the report, Tamil Nadu topped in grave crimes followed by Maharashtra. There is a rise of 3.6% in the number of crimes registered in 2017 from the previous report published in 2016. The number of murder cases registered across the country declined by 6%. The number of kidnapping and abduction cases increased by 9% since 2016. Haryana topped in the sedition cases, the offences committed against the state. The rise in IPC crimes were the highest in Delhi, Assam and Kerala.
- Ravi Shankar Prasad, Minister for Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) inaugurated the Startup Summit 2019, which seeks to bring together key stakeholders and startups under one roof in New Delhi. The MeitY Startup Hub, which will facilitate the vision of the Ministry towards technology, startups, innovation and creation of intellectual properties, was launched at the summit. BHIM 2.0, a UPI-based payment interface application, was also launched at the summit with new functionalities, support for additional languages and increased transaction limits.
- Police Commemoration Day, also known as Police Martyr’s Day, is observed every year on 21st October in memory of the policemen killed at Hot Springs in North Eastern Ladakh by Chinese troops on 21st October, 1959. On this day, in 2018, PM Modi had inaugurated the National Police Museum, the first police museum of its kind in India. The Indian police personnel were responsible for manning the 2,500 mile long border of India with Tibet until October, 1959.
- India’s first training and performance programme of KHON Ramlila is going to be organised by the Culture Department of Uttar Pradesh, in collaboration with Thailand government. KHON Ramlila is a masked form of Ramlila art of Thailand and is included in UNESCO’s list of Intangible Cultural Heritage.
- Chile’s President Sebastian Pinera declared a state of emergency in the capital Santiago, as the city of 6 million descended into chaos amid riots that left a downtown building engulfed in flames and its metro system shuttered. Protesters were enraged by recent fare hikes on public transportation. Chile is one of Latin America’s wealthiest nations.
- The 18th Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) Summit will be held in Baku, Azerbaijan from 25th to 26th October, 2019. Nepal Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli and Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina will attend the summit. Founded in 1961, NAM was based on the Bandung Principles that were adopted at the Belgrade Summit (an Afro-Asian Conference) in 1955.
- Sri Lanka has been removed from the ‘Grey List’ of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), which refers to a jurisdiction with strategic Anti-Money Laundering and Countering the Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT) deficiencies. Sri Lanka was first included in FATF’s blacklist in 2011 as a dangerous country with no commitment to financial security plans in 2012. From November 2017, Sri Lanka was put on its grey list. Established in 1989, the FATF is a Paris-based international terror financing watchdog.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Which state topped in the grave crimes as per the Crime Bureau Statistics for the year 2017?
- Uttar Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
Q2. What was the change in the number of murder cases in India from 2016 to 2017?
- 6% increase
- 6% decrease
- 7% decrease
Q3. Where was the Startup Summit 2019 organised?
- New Delhi
Q4. On which day is the Police Commemoration Day observed?
- October 20
- October 21
Q5. When was the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) founded?
Q6. When was the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) established?