CURRENT AFFAIRS CAPSULE – 24 JULY 2019
- July 24, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The International Police Expo 2019 was organised on the theme – ‘Challenges to strengthen peace and security’ at the Pragati Maidan in New Delhi from 19th July to 20th July. It saw participation of manufacturers and technology players from more than 25 countries. This year is the fifth edition of the International Police Expo. The first edition was held in 2014.
- The annual Joint Military Exercise ‘Hand-in-Hand’ between India and China will be held at Umroi, near Shillong, Meghalaya in December 2019. This two-week long company-level exercise will be the 8th edition of the India and China military drill. Company level means that around 100-120 infantry troops from both sides will be participating. The Joint Military Exercise Hand-in-Hand was first started in 2007 in Kunming (in China).
- India’s silver medal in the mixed relay event at the Jakarta Asian Games 2018 is expected to be upgraded to gold after Bahrain’s Kemi Adekoya was given a 4-year ban for failing a dope test by Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU). Bahrain’s mixed relay team had won the gold in the event. India’s mixed relay team comprised of Hima Das, Mohammad Anas, Arokia Rajiv and M R Poovamma. India finished eighth at the Asian Games 2018 – a total of 69 medals including 15 gold, 24 silver and 30 bronze medals.
- The Protection of Human Rights (Amendment) Bill 2019 which aims to accelerate the process of appointment of Chairperson and members of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) was passed by the Lok Sabha on July 19th, 2019. The bill amends the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993 to include the provision that besides the Chief Justice of India, even a Judge of the Supreme Court can be the chairperson of the NHRC. The bill also proposes reduction of the term of office of Chairpersons and members of NHRC and SHRC from five years to three years.
- President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Governors for six states. Madhya Pradesh Governor Anandi Ben Patel will now be the new Governor of Uttar Pradesh while Lal Ji Tandon, who is the Governor of Bihar, has been shifted to Madhya Pradesh. Phagu Chauhan will be the Governor of Bihar. Jagdeep Dhankhar has been appointed as the new Governor of West Bengal while Ramesh Bais is now the Tripura Governor. R.N.Ravi will be the new Governor of Nagaland.
- Eight more routes have started operations under the regional connectivity scheme UDAN. The scheme seeks to boost regional air connectivity and provides various incentives to airlines. With this, the total UDAN routes that are now operational, has increased to 194.
- In Commonwealth Table Tennis Championship held in Cuttack on 19th July, 2019, India made a record by winning gold in both men’s and women’s category. The Indian men won the final match defeating England 3-2. The Indian women team defeated England 3-0 in the final match. The Indian women team won the gold for the first time in the history in the Commonwealth Games.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the first edition of the International Police Expo held?
Q2. When was the Joint Military Exercise “Hand-in-Hand” started?
Q3. How many medals in total did India win at the Asian Games 2018?
Q4. The Protection of Human Rights (Amendment) Bill 2019 proposes reduction in the term of office of Chairpersons and members of NHRC and SHRC from ______ to _________ years.
- 4 to 3
- 5 to 3
- 4 to 2
- 5 to 2
Q5. Who has been appointed as the Governor of Uttar Pradesh?
- Lal Ji Tandon
- Anandi Ben Patel
- Phagu Chauhan
- Jagdeep Dhankhar
Q6. How many UDAN routes are now operational in India?