Current Affairs Capsule – 24 September 2019
- September 24, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The International Day of Sign Languages is observed globally on 23rd September annually to raise awareness of the importance of sign language in full realization of the human rights of people who are deaf. It is observed as part of the International Week of the Deaf, which takes place from 24th to 30th September every year. The theme for 2019 is ‘Sign Language Rights for All!’ The day was adopted by the UN General Assembly on 19th December 2017.
- Minister of Health and Family Welfare Dr. Harsh Vardhan has launched two initiatives – The Unique Methods of Management and treatment of Inherited Disorders (UMMID) and National Inherited Diseases Administration (NIDAN) – to tackle the menace of genetic diseases in newborns. The objective of UMMID is to make the treatment of expensive genetic diseases in newborns within the reach of all people and to establish NIDAN kendras.
- Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) issued an order to setup a National E-Assessment Centre (NeAC) in New Delhi as a part of the Central Government’s ambitious plan to launch faceless and nameless assessment for income tax payers from October 2019. It will be headed by a Principal Chief Commissioner of Income-tax (PCCIT) as its chief and will have 16 officials in total. K M Prasad, a 1984-batch Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer has been appointed as the chief.
- Saudi National Day is observed every year on 23rd September, 2019 to commemorate the renaming of the Kingdom of Nejd and Hejaz to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The year 2019 marks the 89th edition of Saudi National Day. In the early 1900s, the ruler of Nejd, King Abdul Aziz, known as Ibn Saud, reconquered his family’s home city of Riyadh and by 1932, the King’s forces managed to gain control over most of Central Arabia and then, he changed the name of his realm to ‘the House of Saud’.
- Indian wrestler Rahul Aware defeated American Tyler Lee Graff by 11-4 to win the bronze medal in the men’s 61 kilogram free-style category at the World Championship in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan on 22nd September, 2019. Bajrang Punia and Ravi Dahiya have also won bronze at the event. Vinesh Phogat won bronze in the women’s 53kg category. With this, India reached a total haul of 5 medals -1 silver and 4 bronze medals.
- Addressing the Howdy Mody event at Houston on 22nd September, 2019, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given a clarion call for a decisive fight against terrorism and its proponents. He also interacted with the members of the Sikh community, a delegation of Kashmiri Pandits and members of the Dawoodi Bohra community.
- Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Karambir Singh reached Dhaka on a four-day visit of Bangladesh on 21st September, 2019. He will meet the Chiefs of Air Force, Army and Navy of Bangladesh and the Principal Staff Officer of the Armed Forces Division during his visit. He will also be meeting Security Affairs Advisor to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. In which year did the UNGA adopt the International Day of Sign Languages?
Q2. Who is appointed as the Chief of the National E-Assessment Centre (NeAC)?
- R K Mishra
- Ravi Shankar
- K M Prasad
- K Ajay Verma
Q3. On which day is the Saudi National Day observed every year?
- 22nd September
- 23rd September
- 24th September
- 25th September
Q4. How many medals did India win at the World Wrestling Championship in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan?
Q5. Where was the ‘Howdy Modi’ event conducted?
- New Delhi
- New York